
My poll closes in 18 minutes, I don't think anyone is going to jump in and rock the vote in 18 minutes, so I think it's safe to post.
I was surprised with the results. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only terrible parent out there that doesn't do it. Here are my reasonings, please correct me if I'm wrong:
1) I HATE to take my kids to the DR office when they are NOT sick, because 99.9% of the time they get sick the next week from something they caught there. No matter how careful I am about what they touch and how often I sanitize - they get sick. (Like our bout with roseola this week for Macie. We were at the Dr office last week).
2) I guess I'm too cheap to pay $15 for each of us to get a magical shot that may or may not prevent illness.
3) Isn't the flu shot just for ONE strand of the flu that they THINK should hit this year? If you catch a different one, you're not covered?
4) I hate shots and I'm a baby about getting them. I hate watching my kids get them, too.
So that's my logic. Bring on the comments. I guess you'll have the last laugh when we are all super sick this winter!
Totally unrelated , but funny anyway. I got brave and bought gas at Costco last night. The worker was so nice! He helped me pull the nozzle all the way around my big van, then stood there and pumped my gas and talked to me. This morning I was telling Jer how nice this worker was and that he stood there with me and pumped my gas for me and we chatted. Jer laughed and said, "Yeah, that's because there's a big picture of you in the breakroom warning them to always help you pump your gas." Ha ha...but I wonder...
14 comments:
I agree with you and with your reasoning. Each person in my family has had the flu once in our lives, totally not worth getting a shot, with all the unknowns. I think this little video is hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWfCnjnShnM
I don't get the flu shot for Reason #3. I think I've had the flu twice in my entire life, and while, yes, I wanted to die when I had it, I...
I have nothing with which to end that statement.
I'm with you.
Perhaps I should not state this openly, but we also are selective as to which vaccines our children receive and at what age they get them. We have to fill out the special "Yes, I realize I am a bad parent" forms and jump through all the hoops to get our kids into school since they have not had ALL the required shots on the recommended schedule.
I do know people who swear by the flu shot. However, I also know people who get the shot and still get sick. So whatever. To each his own.
Katy, how do you decide when to give certain vaccinations? I've been wanting to space out Baby Dhis' schedule, but, frankly, I don't have the energy to learn what the current system is AND thoroughly research the alternatives. I just know I want something less risky.
Heidi, I am happy to tell you that you are not only in the breakroom but you are posted on the Costco Web site. No worry the internet is a passing fad.
Heidi, that's hilarious! You are so dang funny! I still chuckle to myself every time I get gas at Costco since your "gas" blog. But, I am now extra careful to make sure the nozzle is straight. Thanks for letting the rest of us learn from your experience. (I wonder if your pic IS up somewhere? LOL)
Agree with the flu shot thing...never done it. Totally funny about the costco gas! Ours opens on the 23rd I am so excited we've already got our memberships!
JJWake, I see you are not blood-related to Heidi, so maybe Costco won't require you to take their "Gas Pumping 101" course.
Influenza IS the flu. ("Flu" is just short for influenza.) It's the same thing.
Any flu can kill people with weak immune systems. There are some more invasive strains that can kill people with strong immune systems. But the flu shot given out each year is just for the strains that the CDC thinks will be the ones circulating the most that year. That flu shot would not protect you from a different strain you came in contact with, which is why some people get a flu even after getting the flu shot.
BTW, there are thousands of strains of the flu.
I've noticed that only the people that agree with you are commenting. =o) Mind if I take the other side?
I just got a flu shot today. Didn't hurt, didn't even need a bandaid (should I be concerned?)
You can find a lot of literature against it, but remember that they're trying to convince you. Nothing you read is unbiased. Ever. Even this.
They do include a lot of strains in the vaccine - the most likely ones we'll see this year. They aren't just guessing. They spend a LOT of money to get it right. And it saves a lot of lives. Sure it's not 100% effective, but what is?
Your life probably isn't at risk. But older people and babies around you ARE at risk and you're putting them at risk by being a carrier. You get it, no big deal. You pass it to them, it's a HUGE deal. I'm not making any accusations, I'm 100% fine with whatever you decide, but that was the main deciding factor for me. I've known people that have died from influenza and pneumonia (a complication). I'll pay to get poked if it helps people around me.
So... there's what I came up with. Just trying to be helpful since it seems like you were asking. Sorry if it was just rhetorical. =o)
I've noticed that my kids get sick from "well visits" too. You can get flu shots at grocery stores etc as another option.
The final kicker - Ben and I started getting the shots because his work offered it for FREE at work for families 3 years ago. We've done it ever since. We've been sick hardly at all in the winters. Seriously. No, the vaccine doesn't stop you from getting common colds, etc, but it IS keeping the flu from weakening your immune system etc. It's made such a difference to us that I wouldn't consider skipping it.
But to each his own! That's why YOU are the mom! =o)
Someone who disagreed with Heidi had commented, but I just noticed her comment has been deleted.
Boy. Don't EVER disagree with Heidi! ;)
Removed by AUTHOR, not me. I welcome all comments - even yours Kristen. Love you!
Just teasing!
Post a Comment