Monday, October 6, 2008

Conference Weekend


We have been planning a family trip on Conference Weekend for about 3 months. Then we saw the weather for the weekend! AHHH! We decided to go to the cabin anyway and I am so glad we did! My brother -in -law's Dad has a cabin up past Strawberry. My nephew and his Dad have been fixing it up this summer and have done a great job!

It rained all day Saturday, but just a soft mist, so we were able to still 4 -wheel between sessions without getting too wet. My Dad brought up his 'travel Dish' so we were able to really watch Conference! I had printed up little crossword puzzles and Maddie had a blast watching for when people would fall asleep, they would get a crossword puzzle and crayon in their lap.

The men folk went to the nearest Stake Center (an hour away) for the Preisthood Session. During that time, us ladies realized that we are spoiled, and we are not pioneers.
-We couldn't get the lights to work and didn't know how to change out the battery to fix the problem, so we sat around a little latern for light for 4 hours.
-We couldn't figure out how to get the new porta potty to flush.
-We weren't 100% sure on how to start the stove and Amy almost lost her eyebrows trying.
- We had to brave the great outdoors to go potty in pairs - too scary alone.
-We don't enjoy not having TV (no one knew how to hook the Dish back up)
-We rely way too much on cell phones!

Macie didn't sleep well, which means no one slept well. Sorry everyone! We really had a good time, thanks to the Mowers for letting us come up! As always, thanks to everyone for loving my kids and helping me out with them. I am so blessed to have such a great family!

Our biggest crisis came at the end of the trip. Maddie wanted to take her walking stick home with her. Her Dad said no. The world as we know it ended. Tears, screaming, yelling and on and on and on for about a half hour. Everyone felt so sorry for her, but Jeramy held his ground. She hid her stick for the next time we are there and threatened Todd greatly if he moves it. The cabin is in a gated area and I kept reassuring her that Todd and Grandpa Mower are the only ones who have a key. She finally calmed down, then she heard Scott say HE had a key and would let us out.

"Mom, I thought Todd had the key?"
"Well, maybe Scott has one, too."

She did not appreciate knowing there were more keys out there than she thought. More people to worry about getting her stick.

Conference was wonderful! There is something about being out in the mountains, surrounded by beauty and having your thoughts be turned to Christ. It is so nice not to be at home and get distracted by things like dishes, laundry, toys, etc.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Adhis said...

Yeah, I guess it's much more peaceful to be distracted by things like unflushed porta potties and flaming eyebrows.

Kristen said...

I was thinking the same thing as Adhis. =o) You're awesome for doing that and I'm glad you enjoyed it. Is that where you were getting back from on Sunday afternoon?!?!? I bet you were exhausted! Hopefully Jeramy gave you the box...

Mandi Ward said...

sounds like fun. Your kids are so funny. Tell Jeramy how rude not letting Maddie take her stick home j/k :)

Krishel said...

I love reading your blog. You do a great job and its always so funny. You should write books! Sticks are very important things. Sheesh... Jeramy!

Jenni said...

Sounds like you guys had a good weekend. Your blog really is fun to read. Miss ya!