Maddie was a little crabby the other day. (Get it?) We were outside running through the sprinklers (well, not WE, but they) and she kept picking on Lindsay. I gave her many warnings, and finally I said, "That's it, you're going to time out." She started running from me. I had to chase her. Wow. I was thinking, "I really hope none of my neighbors are looking out their windows right now." It took me a while to get her, so when I did, I grabbed her and carried her into the house. After about 5 minutes I went to tell her she could come out and she had locked me out. I knocked and knocked and she wouldn't open the door. Then I start thinking, "We should really have a spare key somewhere." I wasn't too worried, but angry with her. Jer was in a meeting, so I sent him a text message (my first one ever). I just put, "Maddie locked me out." I just wanted him to know how angry I was. He couldn't sense that in my 'tone' and left his meeting. Whoops!
I left her alone for about a half hour, then knocked again and she let me in. Ew. She lost all her Wii time for the day and didn't get to practice riding her bike that night.
2 days later, still no key made. We all went out to watch Maddie ride her bike without training wheels. Then we decided to go in. The door was locked. Miss Lindsay is trying to figure out how to open doors, but usually just turns the lock. We're assuming that she did that when the door was open, and then it closed. It was about 9 and our neighbors started doing fireworks, so the kids got to watch a great firework show while Jeramy fumed, and I honestly just giggled about it. We finally were able to break in using a screwdriver and Maddie. She was so excited! She ran to the door, unlcoked it and yelled out, "I saved everyone, I'm a hero!" Later that night I watched her walk up to the mirror and say, "Can you believe it, I'm a super hero!!"
It's 2 days later now, and still no key. Did I learn a lesson or not??
14 comments:
I would say, no you haven't learned your lesson yet...Third time is a charm :) So did Jeramy leave his meeting and come home, or just left his meeting and call you?
Just want to let you know that you are not alone in this issue. Alita has locked me out of the house twice. Luke locked me out of the car once also. Then just the other day I locked myself out twice in the same day. Thank goodness Landon took it upon himself and for my birthday gave me a spare key.
How is her riding coming. Has she picked up any speed? Kids do the darness things. I'm done being an only parent and it's only been two and half days.
Lizzy did that to me once when she was two! But, she couldn't figure out how to re-open the door so I had to call Bo to come and let me back in!
I love that Maddie realized she is a super hero. I hope she remembers this forever.
Was it the door lock or the deadbolt? Unfortunately, it's not too difficult to break into a Sundance home if just the little door lock is employed. This little bit of knowledge is how David and I used to check out the empty homes in the neighborhood when we were in the market for a house. This is also why I ALWAYS use the deadbolts when I leave the house.
Last summer I took Jackson to the park and my sister was here so I locked the door but didn't take a key. She fell asleep upstairs in our bedroom while we were gone and we could not wake her up to let us in when we got back. At least I wasn't pregnant, I might have broken a window just to get in to the air conditioning. Anyway, we got into the garage and ate popsicles out of the freezer and I found some sidewalk chalk in there and broke it into little pieces and went and threw them at my bedroom window and she finally woke up and let us in. It was about a 1/2 hour that we were locked out. When I was throwing the chalk I thought the same thing you did about hoping none of the neighbors saw me.
Jonathan accidentally locked all of us out of the house a few days ago. He was "trying to lock the door so Zach wouldn't go in and steal my toys while I'm not looking."
But guess what. We have a spare key. ;o)
Sorry, couldn't resist.
Loved your story! We definitely need a spare too! I've had to explain to Kaden how to let me in before !
Hey Alicia and I are meeting at Liberty Park on Wed. At 10:30am. We are going to let the kids play in the water and have a picnic? I was wondering if you want to join us? Let me know. I will also send you a email!
Hmmm. It's a day after I made that last comment on this post, and I see now it makes me sound like a crazy woman.
Yep. That's pretty much true.
It's happened to me also. Becca locked me out last spring wheh she was 2 1/2. I was outside for about a half an hour, not fun
Adhis, Yeah, creepy! Did you ever go into a house thinking it was vacant, and find people living there?? Just kidding. We did that, too, but only on our own house as it was being built. We tried that the other night and couldn't get it to work. How silly did I look going to the Southwicks saying, "Can I borrow a credit card?" That's a little more creepy, isn't it?
We only walked into one non-vacant house. I won't tell which of our neighbors changes lightbulbs in their underwear...
That is hilarious! I don't even have a key to my house, that is how behind we are! We put on a lockset, oh about four years ago, and ever since, I've used the garage door opener!
Adhis, LOL. I actually went into a house last year that I thought was part of the Parade of Homes. Ooops.
Post a Comment