Saturday, November 29, 2014

Meia


One night Jeramy and I were at a movie.  His mom called.  
Weird.  
Why did she call me and not him?
I called her back and she asked me if we wanted her dog.  
No.
That was my gut response, but I knew I'd be in trouble if I didn't at least tell Jeramy why she had called.    (That's why she called me first.  She knew I'd be hesitant since it would really end up being my dog).
They have 4 dogs.  3 of which they breed.  Meia is a shih tzu/bichon mix and fixed so she's a pet and not a source of income.  They decided to get another dog to breed and well, 5 is a bit much - even if you live on 2 acres.  So Miss Meia was getting the boot.  
Lexi loves Meia.  My in-laws have had her for a year and a half and Lexi calls her "Meena" and it's her dog.  
Jeramy let me know we were getting a dog.  
We waited a week to let it sink in for me before telling the kids.  
They were thrilled!
Jeramy took a day off work and we drove to Idaho and Lexi bought Meia for one penny.  
 Meia is amazing.  Nothing like Gracie the dog we had before we had kids.  Meia doesn't bark unless there's someone outside in our yard.  We've had her 3 weeks and she hasn't had any accidents in the house.  When she gets tired at night, she'll go put herself in her kennel.  We just have to go shut the door when we go to bed.  She's calm and very patient.  She loves to cuddle.  She's a tad bit spoiled if you ask me - she has to have a 1/2 teaspoon of plain yogurt mixed into her food before she'll eat it, but that is seriously my only complaint!
 Lexi and Meia have a love/hate relationship.  Mostly hate.  Whenever I see Lexi heading for the dog, I think of that little girl on Finding Nemo that shakes the fish - Darla, right?  Lexi isn't all that kind to her pup.  Meia usually bolts when she sees Lexi coming.  Sometimes they play fetch.  Until Lexi decides they are done and hides the toy and says, "you can't find it now."  Lexi loves her and will constantly ask me during the day, "mom, where's my pup?"  And I love that when we've been gone shopping for a while, she will say it's time to go home and let Meena out of her "cave."
 Macie took a while to warm up to her, but they are finally buds.  Macie came home sick one day and Meia laid on her on the couch and Macie loved that!  (She's my cuddly kid).
 This picture cracks me up...Meia was laying by me on the couch all cozy.  Lexi came and pushed her off and got in her spot.  Yeah.  Jealous much?
 She hates when I sit on the couch in the front room.  She'll just growl at me when I do and bring me a toy to play fetch with.  I guess it's her way of letting me know I'm not allowed any downtime.  I have to be entertaining her and Lexi all day long.  The other day I was sorting pom poms by color into muffin tins with Lexi with one hand, and the other hand was playing fetch with Meia and that's when I realized I now have twins.
 This week she realized she can see out of the front room window.  She sits on the arm on the couch all day watching out the window.  The other day I was reading on the couch and she was perched up on her usual spot.  She fell asleep.  And then she fell off the edge of the couch.  She was so shocked and I seriously think she thought I did it!  She was giving me this look of betrayal.  It was so funny!
I don't hate her.  I'm not a dog lover, but as far as dogs go, she's great.  Everyone loves her and I do love watching her take off for the girls when they get off the bus.  Lindsay still freaks out about her jumping up on her, and there is a "No dogs allowed" sign on he door, but Lindsay is always the one to remember to give her treats and do tricks with her.  Macie is our official Dooty duty girl.  For some odd reason she really enjoys cleaning up the poop.  Meia sleeps in Maddie's room and Maddie takes her out in the morning.  We all take turns taking her for a walk.  Our dog is pretty cool!

No comments: