Saturday, January 11, 2014

Christmas is about service

There was nothing I hated more as a child then having to run treats to the neighbors. There was this super old lady that would always ask me to come in.  We'd sit in silence and listen to her grandfather clock tic back and forth.  Back and forth.
Hated it.
My mom had knee surgery a few weeks back and isn't too steady yet, and throw in snow and ice and her taking her neighbor treats around just wasn't going to happen this year.  So I told my girls they would have to help grandma.  They were so excited!  I was shocked.  They happily ran up to complete strangers and said, "Merry Christmas" and ran back to the car.  Maddie only had one moment when she got back in and said, "Well that was awkward."  So proud of my little service loving girls.
When we were done, Grandma took us to In and Out (her favorite) for lunch.  It was packed and we couldn't find seats together, so Lindsay and Macie went on their own date.  (there were people in between the tables when we started eating).  Kind of funny seeing them all alone down there. 
And then I told them if they went out and made a snowman, I'd make them hot chocolate.  And they did!
Maddie never sat on Santa's lap this year, so she had to have a last minute talk with Santa before we left. 
This day was such a fun day for me and the girls.  It made me ready for Christmas!  Serving others really makes us feel the true meaning of Christmas. 
(They also delivered all off my neighbor treats late one night on their own.  They filled the sled and off they went).  

No comments: