Monday, May 25, 2009

The best things in life are FREE *

*Nothing in life is really free, is it?

The past few weeks we've had a few FREE moments that I wanted to share.

We have about a million movie tickets that we need to use, so I got a babysitter and we went to go see Wolverine. We got to the Cinemark theater and it was sold out for the night. BUMMER. I called the babysitter and she said it was fine if we went to a later showing of something else. We decided to go to the Star Trek movie BUT, they wouldn't take my passes. I was mad and told Jer I wasn't going to pay when I had all these free passes. We decided to go home. On the way home I finally broke down and said we'd just to pay at Thanksgiving Point Theater and see Wolverine. So...Our free date ended up costing $16 for the tickets, $10 for the dinner we went and ate (that we weren't planning on)while we were waiting for our movie, $5 for the popcorn that I had to have (at least I smuggled my drink from dinner in my purse. Jer kept giggling about the ice sloshing around in there), and $15 for the babysitter. Not such a great deal, eh?

We also had FREE dinner coupons for KFC. So we went - excited to have a free dinner. We got there and they had a sign up that said they were no longer able to accept the free meal coupons. I really didn't want KFC, so I said we weren't going there. I came up with this brilliant plan...
"Let's go to ihop, kids eat free there on Tuesdays" (and behold! it was Tuesday).
Kids eat free* (with the purchase of a drink). AND, there prices were a lot higher than the last time we ate there. $25 later, we left and grumbled all the way home about how awful and overpriced the food was.

And the other night, our good friends went out to dinner because they had a FREE gift certificate. BUT on the way, he got a speeding ticket. Not so free now, is it??

On the other hand, with my coupon shopping, I do get some items for FREE. This past week it was BBQ sauce, crackers, Mayo, and dressing. BUT, would I have gone to the store at all if I hadn't had those coupons? What about the other $20 I spent while I was there? Dang it.
I guess nothing is really free.

I would love to hear your awesome FREE stories if you have some...

4 comments:

Tarina said...

Sometimes you really make me laugh. I think your right about the free thing, nothing really is free :)

Adhis said...

The best free thing I ever got was my Kelty backpack with the camel water pack in it. All I had to do was test drive the Xterra when it first came out.

It almost wasn't free when my husband started getting caught up with the car.

But heck yeah, I still use that backpack.

Adhis said...

I forgot to mention, the backpack was worth $100 back then, so that gives you an idea of how awesome a free thing that was!

I just remembered another free thing. I filled out a short survey on mytowne.com (when it was still a new site) and won $100 cash from a boat dealer. A couple weeks later, I won a free movie pass and dinner.

Kristen said...

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

So? =o) You can at least get a great deal!

I bought Mac&Cheese and got free CapriSun. I know they bumped up the price of it, but it still came out to be a good deal. I see offers like that all the time. Stores think they're tricking us, but it can still end up being a great price! HA!