Saturday, May 23, 2009

Camping


Friday night we went camping with my parents. It was TONS of fun. I love to be out in the great outdoors - but have a flushing toilet, microwave and Dish for TV nearby. Jeramy always tells me that I really don't know how to CAMP, I suppose he's right.
The kids were soo excited to be out there. None of them were too sure about the 4-wheeler. Macie flat out refused to get on it the first day. I took Lindsay out and every 5 seconds I heard, "Mom, are we lost? Mom, do we have enough gas? Mom, did you bring your phone in case we need Grandpa? Do we need Grandpa? Mom, was that a bug? Mom are you going too fast?"
As mentioned before, my Dad has a satellite dish and so they were able to watch the playoff game. Pretty silly if you ask me.
Grandpa made us an excellent boyscout dinner for dinner - even if the carrots never cooked. And an interesting dutch over cake - that never cooked either. It was fun to use the dutch ovens for a change instead of the microwave. :) And it was worth it to watch my Dad practically throw the phone down when he saw me trying to arrange the coals that were still on fire - sorry if your conversation got cut short, Cindy.
Maddie could hardly wait for marshmallow time, and they all loved it. I was surprised how well they all went to bed and they all slept through the night - except for Lindsay falling out of bed once. All she kept saying was, "Mom, my chocolate covered raisins!" In the morning it all made sense. She had spilled them in her sleeping bag and they were melted all over everything. I was glad it was that and not what I had originally thought it was!
We finally got Macie on the 4-wheeler by telling her it was a pony. That was all it took. She was kicking and screaming and then I said, "Macie, it's just like a pony." She said, "oh." and sat right down and never complained on our ride. Grandpa took us to this pile of rocks. Grandma had come prepared with baggies for the kids. Each of them filled a bag full of rocks. It was seriously the highlight of the trip for them, especially my rock collector Maddie. But I now have 3 bags of rocks here at the house, any ideas what to do with them?
We finished up our trip by chasing lizards. Never caught any, but Jeramy gave it a good effort. Then the MEN got to go for a ride while we relaxed and watched Horton Hears a Who. (once again - we really rough it).
Thanks to Mom and Dad for taking us out and making some great memories for my girls! We had a great time and can't wait to go out again!

2 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

Looks like tons of fun! We'll have to set a date for a Wakley family campout this summer... it seems like we were pretty much booked for the summer with visiting relatives and new babies!

Kat said...

I love all your stories about your family. The chocolate covered raisins was the best! :) Sounds like you know how to have fun camping. I like your way.