Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Lindsay's love affair with vegetables

Lindsay makes me a better mom.

She LOVES vegetables. Broccoli is #1, but every other vegetable gets a big squeal of delight too. Last night for dinner I made a Coscto Pizza and a salad. Lindsay came into the kitchen saw the pizza, saw the salad and yelled, "YEAH! SALAD!" She then had to run outside and tell all of her friends that she was having salad for dinner.
We no longer get her a kids meal at McDonald's, just a side salad and fries. I'm sure I look like the meanest mom in the world while the rest of us eat our fatty, greasy burgers and my child just gets a salad!
Last week I took her grocery shopping with me. When we walked through the produce department, she was amazed. I could see her little eyes taking it all in.
"Mom, what's that??"
"Eggplant, it's gross."
"Can we try it?"
"No."

"Can we please get a sponge bob thing?" (pineapple)
I weigh it. YIKES! "No, it costs way too much. I'll get one at Sunflower Market next week."
"Please don't forget!"

"Mom, I want celery!"
"Why?"
"Celery is good and you never buy it for me!"
How can I say no to that? "NO LINDSAY, I will not spend 1.29 on you to have VEGETABLES. Go pick some candy!" I bought her celery and she ate the entire thing by herself.

I definitely have learned to love vegetables more because of her. I would have never bought the HUGE Coscto bag of broccoli - but now I know we can eat it all before it goes bad. Oh, and don't even THINK about putting cheese on it. Lindsay will not eat it if it has cheese on it. The rest of us pour it on.

And now I point out another fun fact.
Maddie WILL NOT eat anything green. Nothing. Not even green jelly beans. She won't eat her spaghetti sauce if it has any green specs in it.

6 comments:

Soccer Mom said...

Our Mikki loves salad! When we go to the Dude Ranch she has a salad and fries with Ranch! I love it!!!!

Lyns said...

I think we need Lindsay to teach Ava a little something. I fed her carrots on Sunday and she acted like I'd fed her rat poison! That is too cute that Lindsay loves her veggies. That's my girl. I love veggies too.

Adhis said...

Awwwwwwwwww... she's a girl after my own heart...

Jess and Jen said...

Go Lindsay! Does she eat them plain or with ranch? My kids will eat anything with ranch!

Kristen said...

Poor Heidi. You have to put up with kids that insist on potty training and eating vegetables. =o)

Wait... you don't like meat. And you don't like vegetables. I guess there's always ice cream and potatoes.

Meredith said...

haha Lindsay is so cute! She cracks me up!!