
Eons ago, my parents had 6 kids and 2 cars. One of which was a Chevette. I'm not sure when the Chevette joined the family, but I know it was around for a long, long time - maybe even before me. I found this stock photo after Googling "Chevette." I looked through 35 pages worth of pictures and this was the closest I could find. Ours was blue.
This Chevette was notorious for just not starting. I can think of many times being out with Robin and the Chevette would choose not to start. Sometimes in places where we shouldn't have been ...and we would have to call Dad. Dad would come. Car would start.
One such time before I was allowed to "hang with the sisters" they took the Chevette up Big Cottownwood Canyon to play in the water. When they were done Chevette would not start. Remember, this was eons ago and the closest thing to a cell phone would be a can with a string attached. They had to WALK down the canyon to the 7-11 and call home. Dad came. Car started.
When we got married, Jeramy had a SWEET

Plymouth Sundance - the reason he claims I married him. One fateful year, it didn't pass inspection. We were told it would be about 300$ to fix it. We told my Dad and he said, "let me have a look." He looked. He took a MATCH, broke it, stuck it up in the wires, and the car was fixed. That matchstick fixed that problem until we traded it in for my Civic!

Plymouth Sundance - the reason he claims I married him. One fateful year, it didn't pass inspection. We were told it would be about 300$ to fix it. We told my Dad and he said, "let me have a look." He looked. He took a MATCH, broke it, stuck it up in the wires, and the car was fixed. That matchstick fixed that problem until we traded it in for my Civic!
I'm sure there are many many more stories about my father, the Car Whisper, but I want to end with just one. He claims that nowadays cars are harder to fix for him. Too much computer stuff, harder to understand, etc. Last week my check engine light came on. I was so mad when I called and found out it was going to cost $100 just to run the diagnostic test on it! I had checked the gas cap and waited the 3 days like my manual suggested. I was on day 4. I was complaining about it to my Dad while we were driving in my van up to McDonalds. He didn't have too many suggestions for me other than 'don't take it to the dealership'. When we came out of McDonalds, the check engine light was off! He fixed it! I know he did!
So here's to my amazing Dad who can fix anything! I know he would prefer to be known as the Horse Whisperer, but we're all sure glad he's the Car Whisperer!
8 comments:
I totally agree. Dad is amazing. I learned how to drive in that blue chevette. : >
Hondas are really notorious for the check engine light. I was told that it goes on every 30,000 miles automatically. There should be a button by the ignition that you hold down as you start the car. My brother gave me that little peice of info. Hope this helps...although it sounds like you don't need it with the car whisperer nearby! :)
Oh how I remember the long walk down the Canyon. That car always started for Dad. He would drive up to Logan and it would start after me trying for days. I remember Dan and I trying to jump start it. Tons of fun. I got to love that Dad who drove the 70 miles to start my car. Thanks Dad. Does this blog count as a Father's Day blog?????
Horse whisperers are only helpful when we all ride on horses. Now, we depend on cars, so HOOORAY FOR THE CAR WHISPERER!
Dads are awesome. Makes you wonder what your girls will be writing about Jeramy someday. =o)
My aunt's Chevette only started half the time too. Hmm.
Practice, practice, practice!
Patience, Patience, Patience
I had a car like that! Stranded... wont start.... dad comes... I look stupid! What is it with dads? Another reason for us girls to feel inferior with cars!
Post a Comment