Monday, November 10, 2008
The price of my children's forgiveness
Jeramy worked over 80 hours last week. It was a HARD week for all of us. When I would complain to friends, they would say, "Well, think of the paycheck." But no. He is salaried. Then I would get even more bitter about it. Saturday he said, "I should only be gone a few hours." 12 hours later he came home with 6 candy bars and a note from his boss thanking me for my patience through the week. Nice gesture, but I said (jokingly) "where's the check? A candy bar isn't going to make this better." Jer says, "Well, he knew that, so there are 2 candy bars for you." We had a good little laugh. Sunday morning Jer showed the girls their candy bars and they were sooo happy! All long nights without a dad were forgotten.
We have a gratitude tree for the month of November (thanks for the idea Marie). Each night the person who's turn it is to pray gets to think of something they are thankful for that day and writes it on a leaf and we put it on our tree. Friday was my turn. Sigh. "I'm thankful for Dad's job." As hard as this week has been, I'm thankful he has a job and that he LIKES his job. When I went Visiting teaching yesterday, I was complaining about Jer's long week. The girl we were visiting said, "At least he has a job." Then she proceeds to tell us her husband was laid off 2 months ago and we didn't know. Ouch. I have thought a lot about this since then. I truly am grateful for his job! We've gone through the whole 'lay off' thing before and it wasn't fun.
I've learned a lot this past week. As much as I complain about Jeramy's lack of 'enthusiasim' around the house, he does a lot for my kids when he is home. Having him gone made me appreciate that more. I will admit that I didn't read scriptures to the kids at night and Linsday was super upset about it, but I was too tired to care. I didn't fix grand dinners - we had Mac and cheese a few nights and Lucky Charms the other nights. YUCK. So let's hope the new site works and he can actually come home tonight at a normal hour.
www.4life.com
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Let's be honest - it may have been hard, but 2 candy bars totally fixed it! Just kidding. It really can be stressful without the dad at home. Believe me, I know! Randy was gone for 3 whole months at the beginning of this year. Misery. But - like you said, with this economy, we are grateful for his job and deal with the downsides. There's nothing wrong with Mac & Cheese and Lucky Charms for dinner a few nights in a row. :)
My girls mac n cheese and cereal for dinner. Dinner of champions, right? hahaha Everyone should be thankful that one or both spouses have jobs right know with this crazy economy. Bo lived in another state for almost two months and that was crazy hard for me! And I didn't even get a candy bar out of the deal!!!!
Isn't it weird how even if all they are doing is sitting on the couch doing nothing, it makes a difference if they aren't home! I think it's just the moral support that they are there and you have an adult to talk to. If this goes on much longer, you can always come hang out with us :)
When Ben first started his job he was gone for weeks at a time, it made me realize how much I love when he's home! We eat cereal a lot for breakfast, is that bad? ;)
Shame on me! My husband was home all day (a day off just for fun!) and I'm MAD at him right now for something he said tonight. As he's downstairs reading bedtime stories to our kids. Hmmm. He's still in trouble for what he said, but obviously I have a little thinking to do too. =o)
And a little chocolate will make ME feel better. Good idea!
Thanks for passing on some of that perspective.
Post a Comment