Wednesday, April 16, 2008

When they're good...

I'm reminded of that saying, "When they're good they are very very good, but when they are bad, they are very very bad."
Today started out rough. Everyone got up around 7:30 - which is WAY early for us. The crankiness set in immediately. I KNEW that taking Maddie to the dentist was going to be a nightmare just by how she was acting. So I tried to call and cancel, but they have a 60$ fee to cancel. So we start to get ready. The trauma begins.
Maddie won't let me do her hair. So not like her. Then she informs me that she is not going to the dentist. I tell her she is. Tears, and screaming. I finally pack everyone in the car and start to drive away and she comes out running, "STOP, stop, you can't leave me!" So we get there and she won't get out of the car. So I take everyone in and she finally comes pouting in - without shoes. I should probably add that SHE LOVES THE DENTIST. She is always as excited as I am to get her teeth cleaned.
They call her name and she starts screaming. I carry the other 2 back to the room and go try to get Maddie. I pick her up and she starts kicking and biting and screaming. I am shocked! This is so not her. They give me a few minutes to try and calm her down, but she won't calm down. Our dentist is awesome and we've known him for about 10 years - which makes it worse because I am so embarassed! He comes in laughing and says, "Look, I'm ready!" He had put earplugs in. He had me hold her legs and arms while he tried to pry into her mouth. No luck. So he asks if he can plug her nose. He tries that. She tried to bite him. So at that point he was done trying. He said they looked all right from what he could see, but to watch for discoloring. She's still screaming and crying. He has to help me get my 3 kids out of the office and doesn't charge me - thank goodness!
I get in the car and cry. Maddie cries harder. Lindsay and Macie are totally silent. She recieved her punishment of no preschool from me. Jeramy added that she was not to leave her room all day. Here we are 5 hours later and she's still in her room.
So now I need to hear some other horror stories from all of you guys so that I don't feel so bad.

11 comments:

Jennica said...

Oh, no she DIDN'T!!!!! That sounds like about the worst motherly experience you have ever had...I am SOOOOOOO sorry. I wish you would have dropped her off at my house on your way home! You so need a break! If you want I can take her tommorrow evening. Andy has a soccer game at 7pm that we could take her to. Let me know!

Russ Steele said...

Sorry, No problems here.

Aubrey said...

So not looking forward to that!!! I'm sure Hailey will have one of those days! If you want my horror stories, look at my last few posts. Click on the tag called "Parenting Adventures" There are quite a few...Have a good laugh!

Kristen said...

Nope, sorry, that pretty much beats all of my stories! Does that help? =o)

I do have several experiences I wouldn't want to relive though. The worst ever was in the Idaho Falls mall, I was very pregnant and had to carry Zach (1)and drag Jonathan (3), while I was pushing an empty stroller, all the way across the mall, with people staring and glaring. It was fun.

At least it's a cute picture of Maddie. =o)

Mandi Ward said...

Thanks Heidi, I will take a look at that website. Sounds like you had a eventful day at the dentist. Becca went in February and cried also and wouldn't let them do anything on her too.

Adhis said...

Once while doing a quick shopping trip at Albertson's, our 4-year-old foster son threw himself on the ground and would not get up. He was a heavy boy and I could not pick him up. He cried and cried and screamed, announcing that his legs were not working. I believed him for a second and thought "oh my gosh, what if it's true?"

Something told me to not heed his "broken legs" so I said, "well, I don't have a lot of time left and I need to get the things on this list" and walked away with determination. About 20 feet later, I caught a glimpse of him when I was pretending to look at a product and saw him dragging his little body across the filthy store floor all the while crying and screaming. I kept a straight face and said, "C'mon! Scoot faster!"

He caught up to me when I happened to be standing next to a pillar so I said, "Here, use the pillar to help you stand up." He struggled himself up, and I cheered for him and gave him a hug. He was fine and never had a "leg problem" ever again.

I don't know why kids do the things they do, and it probably doesn't really matter. The real challenge is not letting their behavior affect our centeredness.

Easier said than done most of the time.

OUR Coop said...

Yeah that sounds like a complete repeay from my visit with the dentist with Preston. We went in he wouldn't get in the chair when he finally did as soon as they began lowering it back he freaked. I was straddeling him and holding his arms down. That was just to look at them. Then they took him back to exrays I was pregnant so one assistant held him down and the other attempted to take the pictures. needless to say I have never been back.

Another time I attempted to take him to get his picture at Target with Colton and he left screaming running from me around the store.Again very embarrassing!

But unlike Maddie this is expected of "free spirit" Preston.

Kristen said...

I really should have knocked on wood yesterday. Today was a nightmare.

I found out that I have strep throat, and the kids were insane at the doctor's. Then I waited forever for the prescription, and at least 5 people cut in line in front of me! I was trying not to pass out (or cry) and finally got it.

Then all the way through checkout (for milk etc) Jonathan was screaming because I wouldn't buy him a toy. WHY WOULD I BUY HIM A TOY?!?!? And on out to the car. Thankfully a nice man out there put my cart away for me and told me my kids are cute. It's amazing what one nice person can do. Or five mean ones!

Heidi said...

Maddie has been to the dentist probably 5 times and has never had problems with it, that's why I was so confused by her actions! Thanks to all who have posted, I feel a little better.

Jenni said...

wow, I'm not looking forward to the days when Rem acts up like that. I'm sure he will one day. Some of the major stuff I have had to deal w/ is Rem ripping up stuff, playing w/ plugs, & getting chocolate in our carpet.

Adhis said...

I forgot to mention: the photo you chose is really cute with this blog entry!