So, I wasn't going to blog this story because I didn't want to have you all know that I'm not always a super mom, and also, I kind of want to forget it ever happened, but it's best that I'm reminded of it.
It always seems like we are one dresser short in this home! So, when my mom "saved" a neighbor's dresser from a trip to the dump, I was thrilled to get a new one! My Dad fixed it up, and brought it down to us. It was the heaviest bugger I've ever tried to move. We set it up in Lexi's room and noticed it was a bit wobbly because it was so tall. Mental note to anchor it to the wall and keep Lexi away until we do.
Not even 4 days later.
I am folding laundry in my room with Lexi. She crawls out into the hall. Maybe 20 seconds go by and I hear a LOUD crash, followed immediately by screams and tears. I run into her room and find the dresser totally on top of her. I tried to lift the dresser off, but it had pretty much combusted all over the room. I had to pull heavy drawers off of her screaming little body, praying that she was all right. She was moving and grabbing for me, so I picked her up and held her and cried with her. I started checking her out and only found a goose egg already growing on her head. I called my sister in Washington and asked what I should do. (Poor Robin, sorry, I know you couldn't even see my injured baby). We talked for a while. I calmed down. Lexi calmed down. I decided to watch her for the afternoon.
I was physically sick about it. I couldn't even walk in this room and see the craziness that had happened.
When I finally calmed down enough to try and clean this all up, I realized that I had a basket full of diapers on top of the dresser. That basket had fallen first, then the dresser fell onto the basket, and the dresser burst all around my baby. She was under it, but wasn't crushed and killed because of that basket. I still get teary-eyed thinking about it. I am so grateful!
Probably the scariest moment I've had as a parent thus far. I think I got up and checked on her about 10 times through the night. I
couldn't sleep because I kept replaying it all in my head. As we carried those heavy pieces of it downstairs, both of us were sick, angry, upset, but so amazed and grateful that our baby was alive.
Monday, April 29, 2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That is soooo scary ... I am so glad she's okay too!!!
soo scary:)
That is so scary! I'm so happy that she's ok!
Post a Comment