Friday, April 26, 2013

Wordsof Wisdom...

Jeramy is always watching documentaries on just about every subject out there. Most often though, he's watching something about food. Good and bad.About a month ago, he said he was ready to try being a vegetarian.  Hah!  I think I might have LOL-ed a little bit.  But I said I'd give it a try.  We both have kind of high cholesterol, so we both knew it would be good for us.  Here we are a month later, and doing great!  We are by no means strict about it.  We eat meat if we want to, and I do usually prepare one meal a week with meat.  This change hasn't been hard at all!  I really don't like meat anyway, so it wasn't a very hard transition for me.  The kids are loving it.  What do we eat, you might ask?  Well, we make home made pizzas with tons of fresh vegetables. 
We do a lot of variations of taco salads with black beans, corn, rice, and oodles of vegetables.  Spaghetti, loaded with...you guessed it...vegetables.  Soy chicken patty sandwiches (don't knock it until you try it).  Black bean burgers.  Tortellini with vegetables.  I found a killer vegan waffle recipe that we love.  Burritos.  We've been trying out lots of soups, but have found that we are not really soup fans.  We've been dabbling with - gasp - tofu. 

Last year for our anniversary, we took a whole foods cooking class.  That was probably the start of all of this for both of us.  During the class the teacher asked if anyone in the room had never tried kale.  Jeramy and I proudly raised our hands, then looked around and noticed we were the only ones with our hands up!  How embarrassing!  We've since learned how to eat kale and I can almost get through that huge bag of it from Costco in a week.  At that point, we made a few small changes that we were super proud of, and now we've just made a few more.  

For my birthday, Jeramy got himself a Blendtec blender.  Oh, I mean, he got me a blender.  We have had so much fun using it for everything!  I was already starting every day with a green smoothie, but now it' s even smoother.  :)  Some of our random things we've blended would be...Spinach ice cream.  It's sooo good!  We tried Cauliflower mashed potatoes and decided we'll stick to regular ones.  I LOVE that I can grind my own wheat in my fancy blender.  So cool.  Last night we made orange Julius with a yellow squash blended in.  Didn't even know it was there, and it was so good with our french toast. 
Like I said, we still eat meat, so don't think you can't make us dinner or invite us to anything!  I'm worse than Jeramy.  I crave burgers still.  He's like 3 months burger free.  This Sunday I will be making a roast that I've been dying to have.  We've just taken the word of wisdom's wisdom to heart and are trying to "use meat sparingly." 
How to do feel?  Good!  My smoothies start off my day just right.  (orange juice, spinach, banana and strawberries).  I've always struggled with my iron levels and I went to the doctor a few weeks ago and had them checked, thinking they'd be way low with the lack of meat, but they were surprisingly high.  I haven't lost any weight, but Jeramy is down a ton (and he's been exercising). 
I think everyone is tired of hearing about our food, but it's really been fun to try new things!  So, if you run into me and I start telling you about our new random favorite food, bear with me. 

No comments: