Wednesday, February 1, 2012

What would you do for a donut?

Our school does this fun thing called "Dads and Donuts."  Pretty self-explanatory. 
Dads come to school.  
Eat a donut with their kid and read books with them.  
This event has always taken place before or after school.  
For some reason unknown to me, this year for kindergarten it was scheduled for 11:30.  
On a Wednesday. 
Not a great time for Dads with jobs.  
From the first note Lindsay brought home, Jeramy let her know that he would not be able to come.  He's in a really busy time at work right now - which is a half hour away from the school anyway.
We brainstormed people that she would be "all right" if they came instead of her dad.  
I was not allowed on the "all right" list.  
Her cousin Jason was not allowed.
Her cousin Rachel was.
Her Aunt Kerry was.
They were both unavailable.  
She was teetering on giving the o.k. for Grandpa Gary, but chickened out.
Last night we even teased that we'd ask Robby from next door.  
She shrieked a quick "NO way!"
(Let me explain.  Robby is the nicest, funniest, great neighbor.  He has 3 boys.  He hunts.  He has horses.  He drives a truck.  He works construction.  He has never had to do anything "girly" in his life.  My girls are not quite sure how to handle someone so...manly.  So, we always tease them about asking Robby to do things). 
Lindsay dropped the subject.  
Jeramy had decided he'd drive down and go with her, but he decided to surprise her, so he didn't tell her.  

I was surprised when she didn't bring it up in the morning. 
I thought maybe she'd overheard Jeramy and I talking about it. 
She quietly went to school.
After said, "Dads and donut" time slot, Jeramy called me.  
"She had no clue I was coming.  She had already told her teacher that she didn't have anyone coming and she was reading books with her teacher. It was just her and one other boy without family"
My heart broke. 
She really thought no one was coming.  
(And my heart broke that she would rather have no one there than her mommy there).
I can only imagine how sad she was not to have someone there.  

And then her dad swooped in and saved the day.  
Best lunch date ever.
When I picked her up from the bus, she was just beaming and so excited that he came. 
And that he had even picked out her favorite books from home.  (You're welcome, Jeramy).
So glad Jeramy gave up his lunch hour, drove an hour for a donut.  
And it wasn't even a Krispy Kreme. 

4 comments:

Robin said...

Way to go Jeramy! Best Dad ever. There is a you tube video right now with a little girl at school and her Dad ,way cute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAVESNguFUc
Not to take anything away from Jeramy of coarse.

Kristen said...

Awwwwwwwe. What a happy ending. Way to go Jeramy!

Heather said...

Okay. I'm seriously crying. And I'm not even pregnant. What a sweet thing for him to do. I'm sure she will remember that for the rest of her life.

And sometimes only a Dad can do it. No matter how awesome Mom is

Adhis said...

Dads define daughters.



Still sad for the one boy with no family there.