Monday, January 16, 2012

What's in a name?

We are 7 weeks from Baby.
Sometimes that seems like forever, sometimes that seems like way too soon!
It seems like daily I am asked, "So, do you have a name picked out yet?"
Nope. 

With Maddie, she was always going to be Madison. 
Lindsay was a little harder.  We wanted a "family name" and we were struggling to find one.  About 4 weeks before she was born, we were at the rodeo in Malad and the little girl that won the mutton racing (if you don't know what mutton racing is, go to YouTube and watch a few videos.  You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll wonder what kind of parents let their children do such a thing).  Any who...the girl was named Lindsay.  Lindsay.  Huh.  I liked it.  Jeramy liked it, and then it hit me - it's a family name!  My grandpa and great grandpa were named Lindsay.  (yes, Grandpas)
Macie was going to be either Tyler or Ryan.  Yeah, she was going to be a boy, remember?  The night before she was born, we heard Macy Gray on the radio.  We both liked the name Macie, and we have an adorable neighbor named Macie.  So, that's how we named her. 

So, baby # 4...we're running out of girl names!
Here's the run-down of what's not on the list...
Bailey - I love it, but hate the "double ley" with our last name.
Marley - same thing
Allie - same thing, PLUS, we have a Kallie and 2 Ellie's in the family already.  AND an Alisen that sometimes goes by Allie. 
Sydney - I have a sister Cindy and I think I'd struggle with those names being so close.
Olivia - our good friends have an Olivia.  They say they are fine with it, BUT
Haddie- Um...Maddie.
Lucy- in-laws named their dog Lucy.
Lily - I have this fear of this child not being able to say her "L's" and she'd be Wiwy.
Gracie - um...Macie.
I'm sure there are more that have now slipped my mind, but you get the idea. 

We really like Paige, BUT, that's Lindsay's middle name.  We told her she could choose her own new middle name if she let us take Paige for the baby.  She is holding her ground refusing to change it.  While we are having this conversation Macie says, "You can change my name if you want to."  We laughed.  A few hours later, she said, "So, are we changing my name or not?"   

Lindsay does want the baby's name to start with an "L" since there are 2 "M's."  That's why Lucy and Lily made it on the list. 

I honestly think this baby might just be called Baby. 
It's funny, pretty much every boy name sounds adorable right now.  Probably because now I know I'll never need one.  (and this is when my mother will say, "never say never.")

And now I know you'll give us some ideas.  And I'll politely nod and file that name under "Probably not going to happen."  It's funny when people suggest a name, and I'm learning (slowly) that I shouldn't react quite so drastically like "You're kidding, right??"  My nephew (who is 28) suggested a name last night and I pulled a face.  He said, "Well, I think I know how Heidi feels about that one."  You're right, Todd.  Totally wasn't for us.  But if you want to name your child that, go for it. 
To each his own. 

I do have a name picked out, and in my mind, that's her name.  Jeramy is not 100% on board with it yet.  And I'm hesitant to share for the above stated reason.  I don't want to tell you, and have you pull that same "you're kidding, right?" face.  So, you'll have to be satisfied just calling her "Baby" like we are around here. 

7 comments:

Janet said...

I'm sure that whatever she gets named will be perfect! Abby was suppose to be Natalie and I changed it at the last minute and then told Ben after we left the hospital. :)

Russ Steele said...

There is nothing wrong with the name Seven

Adhis said...

I suggest you tell us what the name is so we can practice our "oh, that is so ADORABLE!" face.

Kristen said...

I'm with Adhis.

She-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is always an option.

I was certain we were having a Sadie. We considered naming him Saddam but it just didn't fit.

Harper, Tansy, Berlin, Natalie, Mollie. I think those all fit in your family.

I love that we finally settled on Josh but it doesn't seem to fit him. No pressure, right?

Forsyth Family Fun said...

Bag Sydney. Just name her Cindy.
I am so not around enough and then you will always think of me!!!

OUR Coop said...

Ilike charlotta or Charlotte. But she would go by lottie. I know pull that face go ahead I am waiting. Any way atleast Lindsey could have a L name in her nickname :) I also like clara. :) Good luck our 4th was THE hardest!!

OUR Coop said...

Hey you could call her Lora it rymes with four..a it is baby 4 Just kidding