This year I planted daisies.
I love daisies.
(One of my plants topped out around 4 feet tall).
One day while I was out admiring my beautiful daisies, I saw this ugly black and red bugs all over them. ALL OVER THEM. Like well over a hundred.
(I miss my camera. My iPhone does all right, unless I need to take a picture up close).
I googled "black and red bugs" and everything came up for Box Elder Bugs. I know those ugly bugs, are there were not they. I found a natural "bug killer" recipe. Cayenne Pepper and dish soap. I went to town spraying these ugly intruders. When Jeramy got home from work, I showed him the disgusting little things. He said, "They look like lady bugs to me."
Whatever.
They are so not ladybugs.
But it made me stop and think. I had seen a lot of ladybugs on my daisies, so I googled ladybugs
AND,
did you know that ladybugs aren't just born as ladybugs?
I didn't.
They were ladybugs in their pre-ladybug stage.
So I stopped spraying them and decided they could stay. As ugly as they were.
We've enjoyed watching our ugly bugs grow into ladybugs and fly away.
Pretty dang cool.

2 comments:
Thanks! I really appreciated the educational coloring page!
COOL! In your research, did you find if it's true that the number of spots they have shows how old they are? Jonathan says he learned that at school but I find it hard to believe. Hmm.
Post a Comment