So, I'm a post behind on this, but I thought I should at least acknowledge post number 500. I've been a blogging fool for almost 4 years!
Today, in honor of my Macie's birthday, I thought I would write her birth story. Since I started blogging shortly after she was born, and since her scrapbook is...pretty much non-existent...thought it might be a good idea to put it here.
Not too long after having Lindsay, I felt very strongly that we needed to have another. Lindsay was the sweetest, calmest, happiest baby ever, so we decided it wouldn't be so bad to have them close. I got pregnant, and Lindsay started walking. She changed into a not so sweet, calm, happy baby overnight, but by then it was too late.
At our 20 week ultrasound, we were full-on arguing in the room if we were going to find out what it was or not. The ultrasound nurse finally said, "I'm going to leave for a few minutes. You guys need to make a decision." Jeramy won, and we didn't find out. We were about 85% sure "it" was a boy, anyway.
A few weeks later at my next appointment, they told me that the ultrasound showed some development problems with the baby's kidneys. I started to freak out. The nurse left to get the doctor and I said a quick prayer. Immediately, I felt calm. I knew everything was going to be fine. When the doctor came back in and started talking about bladder issues, surgery right after the baby was born, and lots of scary things, I stayed calm. I knew the baby would be fine. Oh, and this "kidney issue" almost always occurred in boys. Now I was 100% sure it was a boy.
My due date was July 10th. Because I've had a c-section, they won't induce me early. Big bummer. I had an appointment on the 10th and I was not progressing at all. We decided that I would come back on Monday and if nothing was moving along, I would have a c-section on Tuesday. I was so grumpy, angry, emotional, you name it. After a pity lunch at Olive Garden with my sisters, I came home and made brownies from scratch. First, and last time I ever did that. They were sooo good. I totally needed some chocolate to make me feel better, and so did Lindsay.
I came to grips with the fact that I would be pregnant through the weekend. We made some plans. Decided to go to Lagoon for Jeramy's work on Saturday, and I decided having one more weekend wasn't so bad. AND, I didn't want to have my baby on Friday the 13th, anyway. Thursday night Jeramy made us some burgers, then we went for a long walk. I woke up around 2:30 with some pretty impressive contractions. They got stronger and stronger until I couldn't breathe through them. I had NEVER felt contractions like that! (Maddie was an emergency c-section when I was barely a 2, with Lindsay my water broke and they gave me an epidural before I even started having contractions). We called my parents and drove the girls up. I remember sitting in the car, waiting for the next contraction before I got out. I think I even told my dad before he gave me a blessing that he had approximately 3 minutes before my next contraction and it wouldn't be pretty if I weren't out the door.
Jeramy missed the turn to the hospital. Just throwing that out there. I was so ticked.
We got to the hospital and I was at a 4. The doctor on call looked over my chart and saw that I was a VBAC and said that his wife had her uterus rupture on her 4th VBAC. He said he would not use pitocin because of that. I said that was fine and things progressed on their own. Got my epidural and things moved along great! At 8 I was an 8, my actual doctor came in and said, "Let's get some pitocin going and have this baby out by 9." I said, "I'm fine how I am and I'll have this baby at 10." At 9:50, I was at a 10 and the nurses had me do a "practice push." The heart rate dropped (just like it did with Lindsay). My doctor was paged and over within minutes. They had the baby's heart rate back up, but my doctor was still nervous. 2 contractions later, our baby was born. As "it" was coming out, the doctor said, "Boy head, boy sideburns, boy neck, boy belly, girl plumbing. Congratulations. Start saving for another wedding."
We were all kind of in shock that it wasn't a boy! She looked just like Maddie, except for the hair. She was our biggest baby, too! Jeramy made the calls to the grandmas and spread the news. My mom brought the girls down to meet their new sister. My sister and her family were in Hawaii and didn't have cell service where they were. She just happened to call right after I had her, she said I sounded like I was in shock that it was a girl. I guess I was.
Maddie and the baby.
Love this one of Lindsay going in for her fist kiss. The baby remained nameless for 2 days. We were full of boy names, but clueless for girl names. A few nights before she was born, we had heard the name Macie on the radio and both liked it. We only know one other Macie who is adorable and perfect, so we finally decided Macie was the name. The name Macie means "happy and upbeat"
And that kidney thing...totally fine. We stayed in the hospital for an extra day just to make sure, and we also did a follow up ultrasound at 2 weeks, and it was fine. I knew it would be fine.
Macie leaving the hospital. Glad we chose a gender-neutral yellow outfit to bring her home in! The first day home, Maddie said, "Mom, don't you need to go have a shower or something?" I said no and asked why. She told me that she wanted to babysit Macie. So, I layed Macie on the bed and let Maddie "babysit" while I cleaned up the next room. Maddie held her hand and sang "I am a Child of God" to her. So sweet!
We went to Salt Lake to a wedding reception when she was 2 weeks old. What an adventure!
I just love this picture of Macie craning her neck to see Maddie.
I can't believe that my baby is turning 4 today! It seems like yesterday that she was born.
Wednesday, July 13, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love it! She was such a cute baby. I think you should try for a boy. I'm just sayin.
I LOVED your story! I didn't realize that I hadn't heard it yet. What an awesome mom.
I didn't realize you thought she'd be a boy. I keep thinking that we're going to be surprised with a girl. And then I look at the ultrasound and there is NO way. That darn plumbing. =o) Macie seems like such a sweetheart, I wish I knew her better. Happy Birthday! (And congrats on your 500th post! Wow!)
Post a Comment