Saturday, July 2, 2011

Cub scout camp!

I have 3 girls. 
No boys.
I don't understand boys.
At all. 
I never thought I'd go to Scout camp.
But I did this past Monday.
And...
it was fun!
Here's a picture overload for all the mommies that didn't get to go, and when they asked their boy how it was they said, "Fine." And that's all you got. 
We started by learning how to shoot a sling shot.  The boys did great!  Safety glasses ROCK!
We then learned about the planets and stars and such in the train.  I used to be an astronomy geek, but I guess I've forgot a lot.  I only corrected our 14 year old guide once.  :)
We also made boats and had races down the rain gutter.
So glad none of the boys hyperventilated. 
I felt like I was going to just watching them.
The sword fight was the highlight of the day for the boys.  They got to make their own swords and then challenge another den to a sword fight.  Most of the leaders got in on the action, but I chose not to.  Do you want the real reason why?  I was starting to feel that I needed to use the bathroom and I knew running around was only going to make that worse. 
And think about it....
Over 100 boys ages 8-10. 
Port-a potties.
In the hot sun.
I did not want to go in there.
BUT,
I did finally participate in the last big battle and it was so much fun!
We also did some jousting and b b guns.  Hope you can pick your kid out by the back of his head because that's as close as I could get. 

The moment each boy waited for....
the purchase of his pocket knife.
(Which we quickly took away until they got home.  Didn't want bloody finger stumps in my van).
(And I finally had to use the potty.  It wasn't all that bad).
We also did archery.
But I had found a nice seat in the shade
and I didn't want to take more pictures of the back of their heads. 

The boys had a blast!
And a huge THANKS to Shiree for going with me and being my "buddy"
And Norm and Fred for being there, too.
The boys were well-behaved. 
I had brought some movies to watch in the car, but they never got bad enough that I had to pull one out!

1 comment:

shellie said...

I just discovered that you have a blog!

Thank you so much for going to Day Camp with our boys. I'm sorry I missed out, it looks like you guys had a lot of fun. Next year my baby will be older and I'll go for sure!