Monday, July 25, 2011

50 Nifty United States!

At the beginning of the summer, I read in a magazine about some kids who tried to get a postcard from every state.  I decided this would be a perfect project for my child that has a large state map in her room and already has most state capitals memorized. 
And so we began...
She also wanted to start her own blog, so I made it a state blog.  She hasn't been all that great about updating her blog, but we're getting caught up.  She has to find a fun fact online to put on her post, which has been slowing her down. 
For the past month and a half, we have been collecting postcards from people we know, and complete strangers.  Today we hit postcard # 25.  We are half way done! 
This project would have been totally impossible without facebook.  People I haven't talked to in 15 years have sent us postcards.  People I haven't talked to in 15 years parents have sent us postcards.  It's been funny! 
We've been a bit obsessed. 
The other day in Ikea's parking lot, Maddie saw a license plate for North Dakota and said, "Mom, do you think if we left them a note with our address, they'd send us a postcard?" 
Resourceful.  Maybe not the safest, but we might get to that point. 
So, please keep us from leaving random notes on cars.  If you live in a state that we don't have, or have a random connection to someone in that state, please get us a postcard!
We still need:
California, Idaho, Wyoming, North and South Dakota, Nebraska, Colorado, New Mexico, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, West Virginia, Indiana, Ohio, Wisconsin, New Jersey, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Delaware, and Maryland.
My favorite postcard so far was the one my brother sent us.  All it said was Graceland.  He wrote, "Name that state."  I honestly didn't know!  We had to google it.  (Obviously, we aren't huge Elvis fans). 
The postcard that gets the most attention on our wall is the bear one from Alaska. 
Someone in Minnesota (that I honestly don't know) sent us a picture she had taken of a lighthouse and wrote about it.  Loved that! 
I thought Alaska would be the hardest to get, we have two!  And Hawaii was one of our first ones we got, too.  Thank goodness for friends on vacation.  And family with layovers.  And home teachers who visited 3 states and thought of us! 

2 comments:

Matt Bettilyon said...

Woot for the AK grizzly!

Tarina said...

What a fun idea! I'll see if I can pull any resources for you guys.