My one and only brother lives in North Carolina and so I don't get to see him all that much. He's here for the first time in 2 years right now! He got here on Friday at noon and was quickly whisked away for a weekend of 4-wheeling with my dad. My dad was pretty giddy getting ready for this big trip. Something about being able to take your only son out on a "real ride."
We had dinner with him Sunday night and it was good to visit and see him play with my girls. He's always loved the grand kids. The above picture was him playing "hide and seek" with Lindsay.
I don't have a lot of childhood memories of my brother because I was 5 when he left on his mission. I thought about 2 memories that I have from living at home with my only brother. One was shortly after he got home from his mission, I was going to be turning 8. My mom asked me if I wanted to have my Dad or Russ baptize me and I chose Russ. She told me I had to ask him. I remember going down to the basement where he was watching TV with the lights off.
"Russ?"
"Yeah?"
"Will you baptize me?"
"Yeah."
And I quietly crept back upstairs. For weeks I wondered if he had really heard me or not. Lo and behold, he had, and he baptized me.
Another one was going with him to mow my grandparents lawn one night. My grandparents had a beautiful yard with tons of rose bushes around the fence. When he was done, he clipped some roses. We then drove ALL THE WAY to Bountiful to give them to this girl he was dating. The entire time I was thinking "Why on earth are we driving this far for some girl??" Lo and behold, the roses must have worked because he married that girl.
In more recent years, my brother has given me advice on how to act on my very first business trip when I was a manager, and now he and I talk all the time about my cub scout calling. (He is the committee chair, cub master, and den leader in his ward).
Tonight he came and had dinner at our house. I made some amazing pita bread pizzas. All of them turned out fabulous...except for his. I burned his, pretty badly. He was a good sport and ate it anyway. The girls absolutely loved having him here. They giggled and danced around him like he was the coolest person they had ever met. He even put a princess band-aid on and quickly became their new idol for wearing a girl band aid.
I have had a hard time keeping motivated on my blog as of late. My greatest motivation has been my "out of state" siblings. I honestly think that if it weren't for them, I would have stopped blogging by now. So Russ, thanks for keeping me blogging and thanks for being such an awesome brother, I love you!
We had dinner with him Sunday night and it was good to visit and see him play with my girls. He's always loved the grand kids. The above picture was him playing "hide and seek" with Lindsay.
I don't have a lot of childhood memories of my brother because I was 5 when he left on his mission. I thought about 2 memories that I have from living at home with my only brother. One was shortly after he got home from his mission, I was going to be turning 8. My mom asked me if I wanted to have my Dad or Russ baptize me and I chose Russ. She told me I had to ask him. I remember going down to the basement where he was watching TV with the lights off.
"Russ?"
"Yeah?"
"Will you baptize me?"
"Yeah."
And I quietly crept back upstairs. For weeks I wondered if he had really heard me or not. Lo and behold, he had, and he baptized me.
Another one was going with him to mow my grandparents lawn one night. My grandparents had a beautiful yard with tons of rose bushes around the fence. When he was done, he clipped some roses. We then drove ALL THE WAY to Bountiful to give them to this girl he was dating. The entire time I was thinking "Why on earth are we driving this far for some girl??" Lo and behold, the roses must have worked because he married that girl.
In more recent years, my brother has given me advice on how to act on my very first business trip when I was a manager, and now he and I talk all the time about my cub scout calling. (He is the committee chair, cub master, and den leader in his ward).
Tonight he came and had dinner at our house. I made some amazing pita bread pizzas. All of them turned out fabulous...except for his. I burned his, pretty badly. He was a good sport and ate it anyway. The girls absolutely loved having him here. They giggled and danced around him like he was the coolest person they had ever met. He even put a princess band-aid on and quickly became their new idol for wearing a girl band aid.
I have had a hard time keeping motivated on my blog as of late. My greatest motivation has been my "out of state" siblings. I honestly think that if it weren't for them, I would have stopped blogging by now. So Russ, thanks for keeping me blogging and thanks for being such an awesome brother, I love you!
3 comments:
What a fabulous post! Most of my experiences with my brother involve "wondering" too. If he heard it, why we're doing this, what in the world's with this guy. But in a good way. Glad he got to visit!
I can't wait for my visit and my post this summer! No pressure sister!!!
I love you too Heidi!
Post a Comment