Sunday, May 1, 2011

4 trips to Ikea in 3 days...



Man, I should really stop posting all of my messes, but I'm just "keeping it real."
I have a lot of scrapbooking stuff. A lot. I try my best to keep in organized, but it's a never ending battle that I hate, and my husband hates, too. We share an "office" and he hates when we refer to it as the "craft room."
Earlier this week Macie and I were on a date at Ikea. I saw this huge cabinet/armoire thing that was on clearance. I immediately thought how awesome it would be for all my crafty stuff. I called Jeramy and he told me to go ahead and buy it. (Anything to get rid of my eye-sore table of chaos).
So I tried to lift the box. Just as I tried to lift it, the 6 male workers that were standing behind me quickly walked away. I kid you not. I then realized that there was no way I was going to be able to do this alone. So I went home.
I kept thinking about it and asked Jeramy to meet me there on his way home from work and check it out.
He approved. We got the cart and lifted the massive box one AND box two onto the cart. We paid, struggled to get it into the van, and got it home. We struggled to get the huge boxes in the house. Then we struggled and got them both down to the basement.
Put the kids to bed.
Then I went down to start my project. I had a big mug of water, new Mumford and Sons CD, and all night to get this thing put together.
Opened box #1. The "wood" was white.
It should have been brown. I brought Jer down and he agreed with me.
So not cool.
"Hurry and take it back before they close."
It was 9:02. They close at 9.
In the morning we couldn't get the box in the car because I didn't have any packing tape.
So we waited.
When Jer got home from work, I had borrowed tape. We struggled and got the massive box back in the car. We drove separate again because we had to take the seats down in the van to fit the box.
We got the box to Ikea.
We somehow managed to get it on a cart again.
We waited in the return line.
I finally got up to the front and pleaded my case.
"I just bought this last night and I got a white box and a brown box."
Nice teenage boy disappears. He takes so long that I'm thinking, "Oh, the sweet boy is going and getting me the massive box I need."
Then he appears empty-handed.
"Well ma'am, it's a common mistake...the inside of your cabinet is white and the outside is brown. You have the correct box, you just opened it on the wrong end."
Crickets chirping...trying not to swear/laugh/rip my hair out.
So, we struggle with our box, get it back in the car, drive home, get it back to the basement, put the kids to bed, then I dig in.
I will say that the entire "putting it together process" wasn't all that bad. It only took me about 2 hours to do it. Not like the kitchen fiasco for Macie. It actually helped that the instructions didn't have words, just pictures. I really enjoyed the first picture in the instructions that had one man by himself with a frowning face and a big x through it, and then 2 men building it together smiling. I knew that this picture probably didn't translate from Swedish to English right, because I knew the correct translation would be me working alone with a happy face, and me and Jeramy trying to build it together would be 2 frowning faces. (we learned very early in our marriage we don't work well together).
I absolutely love my new storage space. I feel so organized.
And if you were keeping count of the trips to Ikea, well trip #4 was just Jeramy and the girls. Saturday morning while I was at the Stake Baptism, he took them for .99 breakfasts. Apparently you can only walk past the big .99 sign 3 times without getting curious about what a .99 breakfast really is.

3 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh dear dear dear. Sorry it was a fiasco but it looks fabulous! I hope you love your new crafty corner. But is that your cricut on the shelf? I hope it's not offended.

OUR Coop said...

I saw that cabinet thing for sale on ksl still in box. I almost bought it . this post made me smile

Tarina said...

Wow, well done!