Sunday, May 8, 2011

I'm freezing!

I have wanted a deep freeze for the past few years. This year with our Costco rebate, I finally got one. For the first time in almost 8 years, I will be able to buy a frozen pizza without measuring the box first to see if it will fit in my tiny freezer.
My mom kept saying, "Keep it organized. Don't just throw stuff into it." I reassured her that I wouldn't do that. Um...I've just been throwing stuff into it. How on earth do you keep it organized?? Anyone, anyone?
So far it has been pretty nice to be able to buy/make things to put in there. Yesterday we made cookies and I had Maddie make cookie balls and we froze them and then bagged them to use another day. I mass-produced waffles with wheat flour and flax seed in them. We've been using them instead of Ego's this week and the kids love them. (Until the other day when Lindsay had waffles at a friend's house. She came home and said, "Mom, Amannda's waffles are way better than yours." Ouch). I have like 3 loaves of bread in there and the amazing Costco bread sticks...have you had them yet? Must buy!
Lindsay can't get things out of the deep freeze (too short) but man, oh man, does she love to toss things in for me (totally not helping the "keep it organized" idea).

1 comment:

Adhis said...

If the deep-freezer is the right size to fit those plastic crate boxes, put those in there and then freeze your meals as flat as possible so you can "file" them. Write the meal name at the top of the freezer bag in permanent marker. (Making them flat also helps the meal defrost fast.)

Obviously, one of the crates would have to hold non-flat things like bread and frozen fruits.

If your freezer cannot accommodate crates, you're pretty much screwed.