Saturday, April 23, 2011

Happy Easter Eve

On Monday I remembered one of my friends doing this really cool Easter treat at preschool a few years back. I emailed her and got the idea for FHE, but ran out of motivation/time/energy and didn't end up doing it.
When I went to the grocery store yesterday, I bought all the things needed to make our resurrection rolls and we did it for breakfast today.
When I got home from a morning walk, I turned off the TV - audible gasps were heard by all. Much whining followed. I put them all at the table and read John 19. Interrupted about a million times by, "I'm hungry." "are you done yet?" "Why are we doing this?" and on and on.
Good times.
We then made our rolls. We rolled our marshmallows in butter, then cinnamon and sugar and then we rolled them up in the crescent rolls and pinched them good and tight to keep Jesus' body in there.
While they cooked, I read John 20. I gave in and let them have bowls of cereal while I read and it was much more pleasant with their mouths full. I was done reading before the rolls were done, so I played some Easter songs on the piano.
Maddie ended up in time out.
Lindsay and Macie got bored and went up to bug Jeramy.
When my rolls were done, I was kind of bummed. They had oozed all over. Totally not how they should be.
I scraped them off the pan and placed them on plates so they didn't see all the oozing.
They were amazed that Jesus' body was gone.
We ate our rolls and talked.
Macie kept talking about Jesus' body being gone from the tomb.
Lindsay asked about where his body is now.
Maddie asked what we do in Heaven.
And how his body and Spirit met up again.
And when we will be resurrected.
And that if we die, we'll be in Heaven with Grandma Helen and the puppies.

Mission accomplished.
We had a Spiritual Easter discussion.
My kids learned something.
I felt the Spirit.
And all before 10 a.m.

7 comments:

Forsyth Family Fun said...

Thank you spool much. Missing my girls and their momma at Easter. It helps to read and see. Ly

Forsyth Family Fun said...

*sooooo

Marie said...

So glad it turned out in the end! We're going to try to do this for breakfast before church tomorrow. Too ambitious? Probably. :)

Russ Steele said...

Great Job, only 364 spiritual experiences to go.

Kristen said...

Looks yummy!

We've been way super blunt with our kids about death and resurrection since they were tiny - for obvious reasons with their brother. And boy do I learn some things from THEM some days. I love seeing it click in their minds. I love what they can add to it. Being a mom is the BEST. Happy Easter!

OUR Coop said...

That is a great idea Going to do it for FHE next week thanks! ;)

Adhis said...

I had to laugh at the possible scenario of the girls' faces frozen in horror upon beholding the oozy tombs.