Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Cub Scouts

When I was put in the Primary Presidency I was sure that I would be the counselor over Activity days. Hello...me..crafty...3 girls. It was a no brainer, right? Well, I'm over Cub Scouts. I'll admit it, at first I was pretty much freaking out about it, but after 6 months, I'm getting the hang of it all. I have amazing leaders who never cease to amaze me. I'm learning a lot from these guys and gals, and even the boys.
For Blue and Gold this year, I was put over invitations and decorations. I had grand ideas for my invitations, then I had to remember 1) they are for boys 2) I had to make 37. They turned out all right, and even better was that they were hand delivered by Darth Vader - with a scout shirt on, of course. The boys loved that! Wish I had taken a picture of him!

Then it came time for me to start thinking about decorating. I had a month to plan, so I decided to maker suckers. Lots and lots of suckers. 150 to be exact. It really wasn't that bad, I did a few batches each week and learned a lot while doing them. Only had to throw one entire batch away that I burned. I knew they were bad when my kids wouldn't even eat them.

I had big ideas that I would run past Jeramy and he would say, "Boys, Heidi. Not girls." Even the suckers seemed too "girly" to him because I used my heart molds, but I did it anyway. it was either hearts or dinosaurs that don't really look like dinosaurs. I cricutted 18 darling little scouts to go on my bags on the tables. Loved them. We set up 17 tables, 136 chairs, and pretty much every seat was taken! We had a huge turnout and a great time. The boys did a cake decorating contest for our dessert. I just loved seeing all of their cakes and knowing which ones they did, and which ones their moms did. :) One scout knocked on my door a few hours before it started asking for 2 eggs. As I handed them to him, I jokingly said, "These aren't to throw at some one's house, are they?" I think I almost gave the poor kid a heart attack! "No, Sister Wakley, they are for my scout cake!"
I can honestly say I (almost) love cub scouts. We'll see if 2 days at scout day camp in June help turn that into love, or send me running to the hills! I am really learning a lot, which is probably why I'm over scouts, right?

7 comments:

Kristen said...

I'm sure the moms loved your decorations!

You'll have a blast at Day Camp. I think you'll be happy with scouts until you're the den leader and you have to come up with BOY things every WEEK. =o) But you are amazing and will make the best of every situation. Great banquet!

Kristen said...

ps - Cutest background EVER!!!

Adhis said...

Boys liked being treated with special stuff, too. Glad you brought your own flavor to the program.

Adhis said...

LIKE, not liked. LIKE.

Sheesh.

Janet said...

That is so cute! You are so creative!!

Burnside Family said...

Heidi I have to say, I thought you did a fabulous job! I was so impressed with all the decorations and everything. It was great. My parents were there and they were very impressed as well. Thanks for taking the time to put together so much for our boys. It was very much appreciated. We love you

Christi said...

I need to take a page from your "book" aka attitude. Having been around all things Scouts since marriage, I have some to slightly loathe the program. I guess that's why I'm still serving in scouts. Although I can't see myself liking it.

It looks like you did a phenomenal job and 110% better than our entire Stake sponsored Blue and Gold. They should take a page from your book as well. :)