If something is not her idea, she most likely won't participate.
I've worried about her socially because she'd rather play by herself than play something that wasn't her idea.
I've asked her teacher about it at each parent teacher conference. Each time he has given me the same answer. "Maddie is comfortable in her own skin. She doesn't need to be surrounded by people. She is comfortable and happy by herself."
Not my favorite answer.
I want her to need other people.
I want her to want to play with friends.
I want her to not be that kid off by herself at recess.
You have no idea how happy it made me to see this last night at the school's skate night:
(sorry for the poor picture quality, it was dark, they were moving, and I only had my iPhone).
She skated so long that this morning she was SORE. She could barely move. I told her to stay home from school and she refused. So I gave her some ibuprofen and sent her on her way.
She has perfect attendance so far this year. Shouldn't she be the one begging me to let her stay home, not the other way around?
2 comments:
My Preston is the same way!!! He hangs out with the ground duty at recess he thinks she is awesome! She is always telling him to go play with some friends and he says you are my friend. I really wish he "wanted" to make friends but he is fine being alone. Not his mother's child for sure :)
These children are sounding a lot like me! They're okay, really. Sometimes I see things from the opposite perspective. "Why can't you just be happy to play by yourself? Why do you need him to like you?" I guess we're all different. And it's GOOD for parents to help stretch us, while letting us be ourselves. You're a great mom Heidi. I love hearing about your girls. And I'm dying to go skating now.
Post a Comment