Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Mike Teevee is at our house


Who is that, you might be asking yourself? Well, we recently watched the OLD Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. (The new one freaks me out, but now that I've watched it again, the old one freaks me out, too - but that's a whole different blog post). Mike Teevee is the little boy obsessed with TV.


Lindsay refused to watch TV when she was little (yes, I know she's only 4, but Maddie came out of the womb watching Baby Einstein). As of late though, she's a bit obsessed. Keep in mind, we don't have cable so her viewing options are a bit limited. But it's to the point that she freaks out if she knows we're going to miss her "shows". Even just now, the neighbor boy just asked if she wanted to play outside. I thought she said no because she was a little nervous because she doesn't know him that well, so I let it slide. When I closed the door, she said, "Mom, I couldn't play, I would miss Aurthur." Ew.


Curious about her "shows"? At 2 it's Clifford, 2:30 Martha Speaks, 3:00 Aurthur. Then the mean mom turns it off until 5 where she watched Curious George and 5:30 is her absolute favorite.....The Brady Bunch. Yes, that's 2 and a half hours of TV. Some of you might be saying, "Holy cow, that's a ton of TV" and some of you might be saying, "Seriously, that's it?" I will admit that from 2-3 is my favorite hour of the day because Macie goes down for her nap and I am totally left alone, and 5:30 to 6 is when I make dinner, but I hate that everything in her little life revolves around TV and that I let it. Example: last week I was at the scrap booking store. I had wondered around and picked out 4 pieces of paper. I was about ready to go pay when she demanded that she needed to go potty, so I asked the cashier where the bathroom was and I said, "I'm just going to set these papers here." Lindsay took her sweet time in the bathroom and I knew it was getting way too close to 2:00. When we finally emerged from the bathroom, the cashier had put my papers away. I knew it would take me a good 5 minutes to find my papers again. Rather than face the wrath of an upset Lindsay when we were late for her "shows" I left without paper. How lame is that??
Well, it's now 3:30 and so I was just informed it's time to go outside and play. Too bad I'm blogging...no fresh air for you!!

4 comments:

Colleen said...

That's why I'm grateful for dvr. Lottie paid absolutely no attention to the tv for a year and a half until we discovered Yo Gabba Gabba! Now she asks for it all the time. We limit how much she can watch in any one day. Sure, it depends on what kind of day she's having, but usually it's no more than two Gabbas and two Little Bears. And not all in a row.

We're in trouble with Kelsey though, she stares at the tv when it's on.

Kristen said...

Maybe she's just building a healthy appreciation for routine in her life?

Yeah, the hurrying-home-for-her-show may be encouraging her habits just a little.

OUR Coop said...

How bad am I. We are looking to build a house out here and all I can think about is CRap I have to pay for satellite now cause heaven forbid my kids want to watch a show and it is not DVR'd cause we don't have one. IT is not just seeing if we can afford a new house it is can we afford a new house with Dish?!? Lame...

Jess and Jen said...

I've been fighting that battle at my house only it's with the DS and the Wii. I have a love-hate relationship with nintendo because it gives me the free time I need and it rots my kids brains! What do you do? Oh well... maybe they'll grow out of it!