Tuesday, March 23, 2010

The battle of the bowls



When Jer and I got married a million years ago, he came with a few "household supplies." (Just like when you adopt a dog, right?) The fluorescent green blow up chair quickly went the way of the dumpster, but I hung onto these:



I was told right from the start that the Chili cups were pretty much sacred and I wasn't allowed to use them, or even hold them. You'll notice the plural on Chili Cups. To hear the story of how 2 became one, click here These Wakewii boys are a little crazy about their "family heirlooms."

Well, one day we had Jeramy's brother and his family here for breakfast and he was digging through my utensil drawer and found the spatula. "Jeramy! You stole mom's spatula???" Jeramy quickly said that it was given to him, but you could sense the tension in the air. I am surprised my (second) favorite spatula didn't "disappear" when they left.

Another time when we were in Malad, Jeramy's mom started talking about this Betty Crocker cookbook she used to have, but hasn't seen in years. I stayed silent. My husband just might be a thief.
On our last trip to Malad, Jesse was given their old couch to help fill up their new theater room. We really didn't care, but Jeramy had to take advantage of the situation and point out that "Jesse gets everything. He got the Buick, he got the LaZBoy recliner, etc." So his mom asked what it was he wanted. Jeramy already had it thought out. "I want the refried beans bowl."

And I am now the proud owner of the "refried beans" bowl. I have been told that nothing but beans shall ever rest in this bowl. I also learned that this bowl is, well... vintage. It was a hand me down from Jer's great grandma Thorpe when his dad moved out.

Is this normal behavior? I don't think I've stolen anything from my parent's house, have you?

5 comments:

Adhis said...

Jeramy definitely has... "unique" taste for a thief.

Colleen said...

Um, I sure have stolen stuff from my parents. I tried to steal the piano, but it didn't work. So I stole te game Huggermugger. When my mom saw it at my house, I told her she could have it back if I could have the piano. She let me keep the game. And I "borrowed" a half-round table for my entryway. And since they stored a bunch of stuff in my basement during their move, a lot if it has made its way upstairs into my living space (especially food storage, but that doesn't really count because the evidence is gone).

Heather said...

I think the only thing stolen in kids clothes that she puts my kids in and sends them home. She then expects me to send them back? I eventually do but takes me a while. LOVE that beans bowl, I would push it and see what he says, it would be a great fruit bowl on your table......

Kristen said...

Will these comments count as evidence in a court of law?

I'll take the 5th.

Kristen said...

You're making beans out of wheat, right? Is that the craft?