Have you ever had one of those moments in your life when you really want to cry, but you know you have to be brave? You are pulling it off great, until you see your mom? Maddie just had her first one of those moments, which means I just had my first one of those moments. Sometimes it really just hits me hard that I'm her mom!
Yesterday I was up at my mom's and we were outside trying to decide where to go for lunch. I had left my phone in the house. When I came in I noticed I missed a call from Maddie's school, so I listened to the message, "Madison got hurt at recess. We think she's all right though. We gave her an ice pack and sent her back to class. Call us when you get this." My stomach sunk and I was nervous. (and I'll admit it, a little mad that I wasn't going to be going to lunch). I called the school and they finally tracked her down in the computer lab. They patched us through and immediately I knew she was hurting. It didn't take long for her little voice to start to shake. I said, "Do you want me to come get you?" And the floodgate of tears broke, "Yeah." So I sped (as fast as a mom driving a minivan dares drive) down to her school.
She came trotting down the stairs, said nothing about her wrist, but immediately started talking about the class store they had today. So I figured she was all right. (and, well, the growling of my stomach made me a little annoyed that I came to get her). We went home and I called the doctor, but he said she sounded fine, too. He said to call in the morning if she was still complaining of pain though.
All night she whined and whimpered and, we kept telling her to knock it off. She got up twice in the night and...we weren't very sympathetic. First thing in the morning she came in crying that it really hurt, so I made an appointment to take her in.
The doctor examined her and said that it looked like just a sprain, but he told us to go to Primary Children's new outpatient hospital in Riverton for x-rays - just to be safe. He put a splint on her and we went right over for x-rays.
The hospital was awesome! Macie was having so much fun in the waiting room that she didn't want to leave!
Maddie was brave for her x-rays and the tech said, "So, I need to call your doctor to see if you need to stay here or go back to him." I said, "Oh, he said for us just to go home and he'd call later." I'm staring at Maddie's x-ray at this point and I say(because I am an expert x-ray-reader, "There's nothing wrong, anyway." She looks at me - the all-knowing mother- and politely says, "Um, there is something wrong. I need to call your doctor." Sure enough, she had "cracked" it in 2 places! So back to the doctor's office we went. They put her in a more 'heavy duty' splint with a sling.
She gets her permanent cast on Thursday.
She's still thinking this is all pretty cool. I caught her looking at the calendar trying to figure out when she gets her cast off...I think that she realized this might not be so much fun in May!
This is the first broken bone in our family - even for me and Jeramy!
6 comments:
Heidi, I'm so sorry to hear this!!! Hope the pain at least has lessened . . . . Love ya.
I think she'll realize how much fun it's not before the week is out, and ESPECIALLY when she gets the cast. She'll let you know PLENTY when it stops being fun. Good luck to her AND to you, Mommy!
Too bad it's her right hand! May does seem like a long time! Plenty of time for it to get stinky too! Never a dull moment at the Wakley's house! Hope she's OK!
Poor thing! We have two of those in our house and both of them sucked! I hope you all handle it until the cast comes off! Good Luck!!!!
Oh MAN. Broken bones at recess. I'm glad you took her in. Hang in there Maddie!
Poor girl! But at least she gets to enjoy the attention the cast will bring. As a child, I always secretly wanted to have a broken bone so I could have a cast or crutches or something.
Did you love the new hospital? I think it's awesome, and I am so glad to have it here. We live about two minutes away from it, so I am looking forward to that drive rather than the half hour or more it always took us to get up to the PCMC in SL.
Post a Comment