Race day came. Jeramy had us downtown at 6 - an hour and a half before my race. We took Trax up and I got off at my stop and felt a little sad about leaving my running mate on the train. I got to the start of the 5K an hour early. That's right folks, an hour early. I was seriously the first one there. I wandered around, stretched, used the porta potty, wandered some more, and then just watched people. I found myself wondering what motivates people to run. Some reasons were obvious by their shirts - running in memory of someone they lost to cancer. Those always choked me up. But the rest of us there, why were we there? I had plenty of time to reflect on this and here are a few reasons I came up with
1 - enjoy running
2 - got talked into it by someone
3 - did it to be with friends
4 - did it to be with family
5 - cool t-shirt and handouts at the end
6- and my favorite, "Is this a race? I was just sleeping on the bench over there and thought this was the breakfast line." (Not really).
And then as the race started, I got to think even more.
I thought about the adorable 6 year old girl with her ipod strapped on - who passed me - why was she doing this?
And the man that was blind who was being led by a good friend - who passed me - why was he doing this?
The man dressed like Spiderman - who passed me - why was he doing this?
And the dad pushing 2 kids in a jogging stroller - who passed me - why was he doing this?
And the Grandma wearing the t-shirt that said, "If you can read this, you just got passed by a Grandma" - who passed me - why was she doing this?
And then I started to wonder - why am I doing this???
I did it, and beat my time from last year by about a minute. Yipee.
Then I had to wait some more. I stood at the finish line waiting for Jeramy to finish the half for 1 hour, 15 minutes. In that time I got to reflect some more on people and how they finish a race. Here's what I learned, there are:
The people who sprint as hard as they can at the end
The people who keep their steady pace to the end
The people who look like they can't take another step
The people who look like they could keep going all day
The people with a terrible grimace on their face
The people with a smile on their face
The people who sweat - a lot
The people who turn bright red
The people who wear way too many layers of clothes and have them tied around their waist now
The people who could use a few more layers instead of oozing out of just a sports bra
The people who look like they are going to trip on the finish mat
The people who do trip on the finish mat
The people that keep their own time on their watches and push the button the second they cross
The people who took the time to put on their fake eyelashes before the race
The people who have family and friends there to cheer them on
The people who don't
The people that look so proud that they actually finished
The people that look like they could care less
As you can see, I had a lot of time to think during this race. Kind of a silly post, but I was amazed when I took a step back and really watched the people around me. I really wish I could have taken pictures of all these people (especially Spiderman, Grandma that passed me and eyelash lady).
So, my question is- what kind of runner are you??
(And I must add how proud I am of Jeramy. Mr. Amazing did the half in 2 hours 15 minutes WITHOUT training. The most he had ran was 7 miles 3 nights before the race. I thought it would take him at least 3 hours and was quite surprised when he came running across the finish line so early. I keep telling him that he's getting old and things are not going to always be so easy for him. I guess I was wrong. Maybe it was just the awesome pasta party we went to the night before).
12 comments:
I LURVED this post! I need to reflect now. =) Good NIGHTY night night!!!
P.S. What kind of runner are you?
I loved the lists of different types of runners and different reasons for running. Way to go!! (on so many levels!)
Same question: What kind of runner are you? :) This post completely entertained me and motivated me. It's easy when you're 8 months pregnant to say, "When I have this baby, I am going back to my former running self!" We'll see what happens. Your whole description of the experience really made me want to do it even more. Great job you guys!
Good job on beating your time! That's awesome. I guess I'm the type of runner who enjoys it... and looks like I'm going to puke at the finish line! Good job Jeramy!
I'm the type of runner that doesn't run. I love the people watch at races as well.
I'm the kind who loves it. And I'm the kind who sweats -- a lot.
Humm what kind of runner am I? That's a good questions. I loved this post because it's so true. I watch the marathon runners every year on the 24th of July and your characteristics are so true.
I know what kind of WALKER you are! The kind that doesn't complain until she's halfway through and then suddenly announces that she's going to quit. But with a little coaxing (and lying), she's convinced to keep going but doesn't complain again. Until a couple hours later, when she claims that she hates you.
=o) You're right, there were two kids in the stroller, so heavy, and I wanted to quit too.
I turn red. Or at least used to. Maybe I can run again someday...
Kristen - you had to go and bring that up, did ya? I'm still a pretty big wimp and I would never attempt it with my stroller that's for dang sure!
that was a great post! i loved it. i am trying to get into running. not quite there yet!! way to go :)
AMAZING AND ENTERTAINING! One night I decided to start running, I called Heather English and made her go with me we made it around NLL once... pathetic huh. Poor Heather.
What a fun post. :) I would be the type of runner that would be tripping on the finish mat, beet red in the face, and sweating a lot. LOL I am not a pretty runner. Probably why I have never had the gumption to enter a race. Kudos to you! Good job.
Post a Comment