Tuesday, April 14, 2009
I'm always Fine-d
We've moved all the books into Madison's room and she is the librarian. She's made library cards and she writes down what has been checked out and when it needs to be back. On Saturday, I found this note leading to her library. (If you lose a book it is $10).
We lost a take home book from school in November- $10 to replace a $2 book. It has still never turned up, which leads me to believe that MAYBE it was the take home book library's fault and not mine. But I won't judge.
I have lost...3 library books in the last year. I have graciously apologized and paid the fine. Months later, I have found each one of them and now I am stuck with books I never would have bought.
Macie wrote in 2 library books, which I went and showed the librarian, and I had to buy. (Our library is very picky about ANYTHING that happens to a book while you have it, they actually turn every page to check for damage, so I decided to be honest upfront and just show them so I didn't look like I was trying to get away with something).
One book we took back didn't pass 'inspection' and they tried to fine me for teeth marks. TEETH MARKS! I actually fought them on this one and showed them Macie's teeth - at the time she didn't even have her K9's, so she couldn't have even made those teeth marks...maybe it was me in a fit of rage over loosing library books...who knows.
So, I feel bad that my daughter feels that she has to impose a fine system for our home library. I don't think I'll be checking books out from her anytime soon.
I feel like I take care of the library books, but apparently I'm not. I should be banned pretty soon, I'm sure. I am slowly buying each and every book from the public library. You'd better check them out before they are all at my house! (Especially if you go to the Little Library by our Stake Center, I've bought half of them already).
*I got desperate one time and tried the magic eraser on a page in a book...did you know paper can sizzle? It's pretty cool. It got the crayon off, but ate through the paper. I don't recommend trying it. I have finally found a fault with the magic eraser!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

6 comments:
I love that Maddie is a good librarian. I always love when my kids play school or library. I makes me feel like I'm doing something right. (or at lease there teachers and librarians are!)
Maddie already has the story time thing down, she has to have a library now! I love her little signs! You could do what I do, never go to the library and read the same books OVER and OVER. At least I don't have to pay a fine when they get ruined! ;)
That reminds me...I need to take the boys to the library more often! I love how you can share the simple things in life, but turn them into the most clever family journal...your kids are going to love reading your stories about them someday too!!!
The paper sizzled? I wanna try it! Could I borrow a book first?
You are so funny Heidi! and Maddie cracks me up! It is pretty ridiculous how much they charge you to replace a book. It seems like if you can buy the book and give them what you bought then you should be off the hook. My kids are such tear-ups I've just come to the realization that I can't check books out for a while.
The answer is no.
(If you ever want to borrow a book from me.)
=o) I've gotta try the magic eraser trick.
Post a Comment