Friday, January 16, 2009

Just call me Aunt Heidi...

For some reason today I can't stop thinking about my teenage nieces and nephews. I'm really bad about trying to decide if I'm being prompted by the Spirit, or just thinking a lot and I keep thinking that I should blog my feelings today. When in doubt, just do it, right?
So this is for T,A, J, M, A, R, C, A, D,J, C, S and D - did everyone figure out who they are??? Did I forget anyone?? And this is also for S, A, L, H, and K even though they are pre-teens.


I am so blessed to have all these guys love me! They make me feel young and cool - and let me know when I am "so last year" on things. Some have made my day lately by sending me random little texts, like the other night, I got one that just said, "Love you! Tell the girls I miss them." Just what I needed to hear while sitting in a boring meeting! Or the one that said, "David Archuleta is in my seminary class!!!"

I think ALL of them have chatted with me on facebook. I love that- even if one of them did start the conversation by saying, "I thought all old people went to bed after Matlock..."

They are always so willing to babysit for us and I know I can trust them all. I'll even forgive them for teaching my girls how to 'shake their bootie.'



As I said, my thoughts have been about them today and all they are going through. I remember being in Jr High and trying to fit in - how awkward it was. I remember the stress and pressure of High School - dating (or lack there of), keeeping grades up, and being mad at Mom and Dad for things that seem so silly now, but were earth shattering at the time. I remember going to college and hating being away from home, and trying to keep my grades up, and how hard it was trying to decide what to do with my life. I remember being a newlywed and all the silly little fights, trying to find balance between time with our families, and the drama of trying to figure out how to work, go to school, find time for each other, keep the house in order AND cook meals. (That one is never-ending, sorry guys).



I feel for each one of them in each and every situation they are in. I can't even imagine the tempations and struggles that are out there right now for them. I thought things were bad when I was there, wow. It was nothing compaired to today. I am so proud to see how strong each of them are. I love to see them rely on each other for comfort and advice. I love that I know that they rely on the Lord for that same comfort, and it was neat this past summer to find out so many of them have such awesome testimonies at our family testimony meeting.
And I love seeing them realize - one by one- that their mom and dad aren't that bad after all. Like I said before, I am so glad that they take time to send little messages to their aunt - that they take time to do something for someone else. So, to all my awesome nices and nephews: I know life is hard and it doesn't seem fair - but be strong! I love you all! Peace out. (Is that so last year or what??)

5 comments:

Forsyth Family Fun said...

aww!
i sure do love you.
(:

-shelby

Forsyth Family Fun said...

That was great! Thank you for sharing. I am soooo proud of them all too!

Adhis said...

"Peace out" is a few so-last-years. :)

Marie said...

Heidi, this post made me love you even more, and you're not even *my" aunt. :)

Kristen said...

I was thinking last DECADE myself. =o)

I was asked to talk on Sunday about this subject, kind of. It was neat but I'm SO glad it's over. It was funny to read my journals and try to think of examples to use. I'm sure you're a wonderful aunt.