Tuesday, January 20, 2009

What was I thinking??

Some of you might remember that we are suckers for the Junie B Jones books at our house. For Christmas, I picked this one up for Madison. Didn't think much of it. Us girls started to read it a few weeks ago, and suddenly I realized what I was doing to my kids. Let's just do a little excerpt from the first chapter for you all to preview...
Junie B is talking to her friend Paulie Allen Puffer and he tells her this:
"My brother is in 7th grade and he says that the monster waits till you're asleep, then he crawls up next to you and he lies down on your pillow. And he practices fitting your head in his mouth."
Junie covers her ears
"I can prove it" he says, "Didn't you ever wake up with a drool spot on your pillow?...Where do you think it comes from?...It came from the monster under your bed, it's monster drool."

Nice.

You may recall that Lindsay is afraid of the tooth monster, so I knew this was not going to be good. We teased about it - tried to make light of the situation, and I hid the book. Maddie asked today if we could read it, so I put Lindsay in front of good old wholesome PBS kids and read Maddie the whole book so we could move on. I thought she could handle it, but she was cuddled up next to me the whole time and very quiet. Very quiet. I should probably add that we recently switched rooms around and Maddie now for the first time in 2 years has her own room. Very quiet.
Bedtime rolls around and all is fine. She is allowed to put her baby sisters to bed now by reading them a story, then she goes to her room and goes to bed. 10 minutes later, she comes down stairs.
"Mom, I think there are spiders in my bed."
"Maddie, seriously, go to bed."
"Mom! I can't sleep in there!"
"Go sleep in my bed."
She goes upstairs and then right back down.
"Mom, there isn't a night light in there."
"Then make a choice, spiders or no nightlight."
She huffs and puffs and I take her up to check for spiders. All clear.
"But Mom, they can crawl back in, you know!"
Sigh. "You're right. You'd better just sleep on the floor."
So there she sleeps - on the floor. Please...no one tell her that spiders like the floor better than beds. And please, don't buy the Monster book. It's not that good, and not worth the trauma.

8 comments:

Janet said...

thanks for the tip! Lexi and Abby are way in love with Junie B JOnes.

Jennica said...

Yikes, that is SCARY!!! I really don't get it...1/2 of the "kid" books and movies seem so inappropriate to me. Was it like that when we were kids?

Mandi Ward said...

I always smile and chuckle when I read your blog posts. Never a dull moment at your house. Good luck with the bed monster.

Robin said...

We have that book as well, and I was worried about it. My kids seemed unharmed by it, but it was when they all were sleeping in the same room. They are all in there own rooms for the time being, and Liam was up about 20 times last night. He was looking for the cat. He likes the cat to sleep with him, but the cat has other ideas of fun. So I tell him that Dan will ask the cat if he wants to sleep with you, if he does Dan will bring him in. Dan being a good dad did what I said. I think the cat made it 5 minutes with Liam, but Liam didn't get out of bed again.

Tarina said...

Thanks for the heads up. I have to admit this post made me laugh. I love hearing your stories!

Meredith said...

She picked the floor!!Maddie cracks me up! haha

Kristen said...

You don't want us to tell her there are spiders on the floor because you'd PREFER that she sleep on the floor?

I still think Junie B. Jones is trying to ruin our kids' grammar. But guess there ain't nothin' wrong with that! =o)

Matt said...

Yes Junie B books edge out the margins a little, don't they? I'm still not sure about the tooth fairy one even if it did make us all laugh.

Thanks for posting. Too funny about spiders in the bed.