Thursday, January 8, 2009

Gracie


As a child, we never had real pets (that required anything other than water changing in a tank). Jeramy always had a dog growing up, so naturally, he thought we needed one a few years back. We were still without children, living in a 2 bedroom apartment and both working full-time and going to school - so a dog made perfect sense, right? We got Gracie, a Jack Russel Terrier puppy. We learned really quick that she was smarter than us.
The first day we left her home, she got out of her cage, opened the cupboard where we kept her food, spilled it all over the house and ate herself sick.
So I got all domestic and sewed a blanket on top of the cage. She chewed the blanket up and got out again.
We bought a wire net thing and used wire to get it on the top. She chewed that off, too.
She then learned to go under instead of over her cage, so more wire net stuff. She figured that out as well.
We started leaving her on her leash in our bedroom while we were gone.
She chewed my phone up.
She tore apart my feather pillow.
She hated to have a bath. Every time I would get her out, she would run around the house like a mad dog, then jump up on my bed and pee. Jeramy would just laugh.
She chewed up her "Perfect Puppy" training book.
We took her to Puppy kindergarten and she would never do her tricks for the teacher - making us look like the idiots that couldn't teach the smartest kind of dog.
She cost us a small fortune to buy, and to fix, and for hernia surgeries.
She was not allowed on the bed or couch - can't you tell? That lasted all of 2 days.
Along came Maddie.
Goodbye puppy.
In the first 5 minutes I was home from the hospital she jumped on my c-section incision.
She quickly realized that when I was feeding the baby, I couldn't take her out, so she'd look right at me and poo on the floor.
She also learned that I couldn't climb under the table to get things from her, so she'd grab things and hide out from me.
Final straw was nipping at Maddie.
Gracie went to stay with a friend for a few weeks. Gracie found a happy home with a big yard and 2 little boys to wrestle with her. She lasted a whole 5 months with us.

The reason for this post is for my 2 sisters that decided getting puppies was a good idea for Christmas. I know that Santa brought one, so Kerry had no idea what she was getting in to (ha ha), but Cindy, seriously - you should have known better. I wish you both the best of luck, and I will count my blessings that Maddie got Nintendogs for Christmas and is totally satisfied because she doesn't have to clean up a pretend dog's poop.

Sigh. All right, I do miss my dog. We only had her for 5 months, but we loved her and still talk about her all the time. She slept with us, curled up on my legs. I missed that a lot at first. So, I guess congrats on the new puppies. I know one day I will lose the battle and we will have another dog, but until then, I will just love your dogs and leave them!
Posted by Picasa

11 comments:

Kristen said...

Heh heh. No comment. Just chuckling here.

M-n-M said...

All i have to say is trying having 6 dogs!! Thats right I admit it 6 dogs.

Have you gone to see Marley and Me about the dog?? It was great. However now that the baby is getting close I have been concerned about the "barking" and "waking baby up" issues that will arise??

Congrats on the 200th post - I am lucky to post one every 3 months so I will have to follow your example a little better.

Hope you guys had a great christmas

Soccer Mom said...

We had a springer spaniel for 1 month, she bit me and was gone. Then we got our doxie mix and he has been awesome. Only a few potty issues at first, but learned quickly. All I can say is, no puppies during the winter only during the summer!! (Easier to train)

OUR Coop said...

Oh Gracie! I remember her! She was so cute. Thank you for the post it reminded me why I DON'T want another dog. At least not right now. I have 3 little ones that are at times ripping up things, getting in to all Mom's things that have now become their things, pooping and peeing on the floor, spreading food all over the house. Yeah I think we can wait on adding another!

michele said...

We had a puppy for two months when we lived in Pilgrims Landing and it was one of the hardest things I have ever had to go through. I was pregnant with Avery, what was I thinking? How are you guys?

Kat said...

Wow, I can't believe your story about your dog. I can't believe everything that you had to go through. I can see why you would not want a dog. :) Good luck to your sisters!

Forsyth Family Fun said...

Thanks for the encouragement. I was up at 12:30, 3:30 and 6:30- this is worse than a baby! Although we did finally poo at the appropriate grounds outside last night at 12:30. : >

Man Of Steele said...

Good dogs should be like grandkids. Fun to have around, but they go home to Poo.

Mandi Ward said...

Dogs are a love hate relationship sometimes. We have lived in our new house for 2 years now and have had 3 dogs come and go to doggie heaven so I have put the ban on dogs for a long while, I cant take the tears from my kids or me.

Jess and Jen said...

Oh, the doggy blues! Can't live with em, can't live without them! We love our little Chubbs, even if he is a peg leg!

Adhis said...

Yeah, once Indy passes on (or is mysteriously poisoned), we will not get another dog AGAIN! Those things live forever!

When we got him 4 years ago, it sounded like a great idea. I KNOW we weren't thinking 4 years into the future, much less 14!

A dog is a perpetual 3-year-old.