Wednesday, December 17, 2008

It's no secret that I have felt pretty "Grinchy" this Holiday Season. I've felt overwhelmed (as I know most of you have) about finding the 'perfect present' at that 'perfect price' and getting it all done in the 'perfect amount of time.'
Kind of like I've been hanging on by a thread. Not fun. BUT, yesterday I started to reflect on Christmases past, and even present. What do I remember? I honestly can't remember what I got for Christmas last year, BUT I remember going to see the lights, playing games on Christmas Eve with my family, talking about Christ and the Nativity with the girls. Running treats to the neighbors as a family.
What do I remember from my childhood about the Holidays? Being with family, visiting cousins.
What do my children remember about Holidays? The other night when we went to Thanksgiving Point to see the lights, Maddie said, "Mom, this is where we came with my cousins last year and we rode in the Trolley and Cindy sat across from me and Shelby sat by me...." She remembers family times.

So, I'm feeling better. I've learned a valuable lesson from the Grinch himself today.
“Well, in Who-vile they saythat the Grinch’s small heartgrew three sizes that day…”
And the Grinch, with his grinch-feet ice-cold in the snow, Stood puzzling and puzzling: "How could it be so? It came without ribbons! It came without tags!"It came without packages, boxes or bags!" And he puzzled three hours, `till his puzzler was sore. Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before!"Maybe Christmas," he thought, "doesn't come from a store. "Maybe Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!"
So, I'm taking back all gifts and we are just going to stand around the tree and sing on Christmas Day. Sigh. Then I would really be called the Grinch, wouldn't I?


8 comments:

Kristen said...

Ah ha! The Grinch came around. =o) Merry Christmas!

I love everything about Christmas but I also don't stress about presents. And maybe I should stress MORE, since Ben just ordered my in-laws' presents last night, which means they probably won't arrive there in time. Hmmm, his problem not mine. =o) (I tried to help two weeks ago.)

But I agree that it's the things we DO that are memorable - and they don't have to be hard things. Love and Joy are things we experience. Enough from me, I loved your post.

Christi said...

Oh wise one. As you spout truths from your lips, I'm over hear trying to get my DH to sign on to this philosophy. My dream Christmas? Spent in some foreign country doing service with my family beside me. I want the experiences, not the gifts.

OUR Coop said...

You are to cute! I love you. I am so glad I had you as a boss! It was a blessing. who would have known we would still be friends even though we never see each other! And I don't think your a grinch!

Soccer Mom said...

Sometimes that how Christmas goes! I am already for it to be overwith!!!!

Forsyth Family Fun said...

I am so glad Maddie has not forgotten me yet- Keep reminding her. I think I miss your girls the most. (Don't tell everyone else) Christmas is so fun when the kids are young. Love you!

Jennica said...

You are right...and in honor of your new insight I think we should burn your grinch t-shirt! tehehehe

Meredith said...

I second the grinch t-shirt burning idea!

Kat said...

I had the same problem with feeling "Grinchy", then realized, that I needed to let it go and just play. We had a Polar Express party, and I enjoyed just playing with the kids, drinking hot chocolate, and listening for that bell. Remember the memories. Sounds like you have some good ones. :)