Monday, December 22, 2008

Darn it!

Last week I told my bargain shopping Mom to be on the lookout for a good deal on tights for the girls. She says, "Don't they have lots of them?" I say, "Yeah, but Lindsay's black ones have a hole in the toe." She says, "Why don't you fix them?" HA...HA...Ha. I laugh. Why don't I fix them? Well, I don't even think I OWN a needle, or thread, and I can really just go buy a new pair at Wal-Mart for $2.88. Well, Sunday rolls around, and I realized we are going to have a 'tight situation,' and there is nothing in the world worse than a holey-toe on the Sabbath. So I think to myself, "Why don't I just fix it?"
I find a random needle in a drawer that is still in it's little needle box - never even opened, then I go through my scrapbooking supplies and find some cross stitch floss stuff. It's dark green - close enough to black for me. Then I remember my mom saying something about a light bulb in the toe, so I do that, too. At this point, Lindsay gets quite concerned about the fate of her tights.
"Mom, why is there that thing (referring to the light bulb) in my tights? Why do you have that (pointing to the needle) thing? What are you going to do???"
"I am darning your tights."
And darn I did. Well, I did MY version of darning - but hey - her toe didn't stick through, and I saved $2.88. I just googled 'darning socks' right now and what do ya know, there was instructions and everything there. Probably should have done that one! I will admit that I said a silent prayer that Lindsay would keep her shoes on in nursery so her teacher wouldn't see my sad attempt!

3 comments:

Robin said...

I have darned socks before but, it is easier to just buy new socks. How is that "my mom" has not passed on the light bulb trick??? Playing favorites? Love ya!

Soccer Mom said...

That is awesome. We just bought new tights and Brylee tore a hole in the knee before we even went to church!

Kat said...

Congratulations! That is awesome that you were able to do that. We had an activity where we taught the Young Women how to darn socks and sew on buttons. It's amazing to be able to fix things. :)