Monday, September 22, 2008

Birthday!

Happy Birthday, Lindsay! She turned 3 on Saturday. She has been soo excited about her birthday this year. It was fun preparing for it. She wanted an Elmo cake, but then I saw this idea on the internet and "persuaded" her that she wanted a Barbie cake. Here's the cake scoop. If you don't care about details of how she was made, skip to the next picture...
I borrowed the Papmered Chef mixing bowl from Marie. Made the cake. I was told to amputate Barbie at the waist and did so. She was way too wobbly! I frosted and decorated, then put her in the fridge to set. Checked on her and she had crashed! Ruined her dress and all. Jeramy laughed and laughed about it. So I got creative. I went down and got Maddie's 12 Dancing Princess Doll that is a little smaller than a normal Barbie. I left her intact AND added a cupcake on top of the cake to make it taller. Then re-frosted. Wala! Here she is. It was so much fun to make! I'm so glad I have 3 girls so the odds of making this cake again are pretty good! Maddie was pretty ticked about me using her barbie, but got over it when we let her lick it clean. YUCK! (She was saran-wrapped, so it really wasn't the gross, just a little odd to watch).
Lindsay chose to go to the Mayan. Oh man, I hate the Mayan. I'm glad we made the "birthday rule" so I only have to go twice a year!
You know when you get the PERFECT present and you are so excited to give it to your kid??? Sigh. This is how my perfect present turned out. She wanted the Cinderella doll like Maddie's. I didn't want 2 of the same doll, so I called every mall in Utah to find the same STYLE of doll, but a different princess. We drove all the way to PROVO (need I remind you guys of my fear of that place??) I was so excited about it. We prepped by watching Sleeping Beauty all week, we told her she would get a doll like Maddies, but a different color. She was excited, too! Then she opened it. "Mom, this isn't like Maddie's." And back in the bag it went. We will be exchanging it today for the SAME as Maddie's that they had at South Towne. Grrrrr..
She loved her cake and would squeal with delight when she saw it. It made me so happy! I love my Lindsay so much! She is so thoughtful and loving. She is my cuddler and I love that! It has been fun in the past few months to really see her personality come out more. She gets upset when someone cries and it makes her cry. She always thinks about us and worries about us and how we are feeling. Jeramy gets a lot of caffiene headaches and so she is constantly asking, "Dad are you feeling better?" Even if he hasn't said anything about having a headache. We love you, Lindsay!
Posted by Picasa

15 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow...sounds like you had fun! The cake is so cute, it turned out so good! Way to go!

J. Doug said...

I love that you are exchanging it. Also Liz did that Barbie cake a while back. She actually found a half bodied Barbie.

Mandi Ward said...

What a fun day. She is so cute. I made Ella a cake just like that for her birthday a few months ago, might I say yours looks better than mine, but it is fun when you try to make something creative and new. You'll have to take a look at the one I did, it is in my July posts. Yours is way cute.

Jennica said...

Wow, look at that cake! You go girl. Next time I need to make a babrbie cake, I know who to call! ;) Seriously, Heidi...you are a GREAT MOM, and I hope you know it. You are also one of my best friends and that means the world to me. Love your posts as always...I feel like I was there. Too bad about the doll though, that stinks.

JGEM said...

I will not be showing Ellie a picture of your cake! All she wanted was purple cake, and somehow I failed with the dye. Now when people ask her about her cake she says: "Well, Mom tried to make it purple." Way to make a great cake!!!!

Aubrey said...

Great job on the cake!!! What an awesome mom you are. I will NEVER attempt to make a cake...I'm just not that cool...Our birthday cakes will always be made by Dairy Queen, Costco, Walmart or Albertson's! :)

Jess and Jen said...

I wanted to do that cake for ellie ( i have the bowl) but chickened out and did the walmart my little pony. You're such a better mom than me! Happy bday lindsay!

jill said...

Heidi you are so good!! I love the Barbie cake it looks so good!! My sister and I made a Barbie cake like yours for my neice's birthday, ours was cute, but nothing like your piece of artwork!!
I was reading about your fish story, and I couldn't help but wondering if that little kid that dumped the fish food was GAVIN!! I hope not, if so I am so sorry!!

Marie said...

It turned out awesome!! I love the way you did the skirt and the flowers! Sorry about the doll falling over thing!! But it turned out great and I'm glad Lindsay loved it!

Russ Steele said...

Happy birthday Lindsey!
Love,
Uncle Russ, Aunt Josi, Danielle, and Jayden

Janet said...

WOW! What a great cake! Lexi and Abby saw it and guess what kind they want now :) Way to go

OUR Coop said...

Hooray on the Cake miss betty Crocker! Happy Birthday Lindsay. You are the cutest! I wish we saw you more so that I am not some stalking blogger that you don't even know! Jus Kiddin! Happy Birthday we hope you had a great day!

Jenni said...

What a cute cake!

Kristen said...

Are you serious? You're really going to trade the doll for a different one? Sheesh.

=o)

What a cutie. Three years ago... crazy.

Anonymous said...

LOVE the cake!