
"We ask that you be wise as you store food and water and build your savings. Do not go to extremes; it is not prudent, for example, to go into debt to establish your food storage all at once. With careful planning, you can, over time, establish a home storage supply and a financial reserve."
—The First Presidency
I went to the cannery for the first time ever Thursday night. It was awesome! I recommend that if you ever have the chance to go - do it! I can't count how many times I thought, "Man - I wish I had my camera!" I can only imagine how stunning I looked in my hair net, apron and blue gloves. It was neat to be there and serve, but be getting something in return (being able to buy the food there). It was so neat to see how well organized the Church Welfare program is and how important it is to the Church. We have really tried to get our year of food storage up, and I think we've done a pretty good job, but this got me all excited again.
I found this link tonight that has a great Food storage calculator. The one the Church has up now isn't that detailed, so I like this one better.
food storage
Give it a try, I DARE YOU! Ha ha.
4 comments:
I went to the cannery that morning! (If the floor was covered in a light coat of sugar it's because Brother Sattler decided to give a can of sugar a spin without the lid.)
I'm so glad you had a good experience at the cannery. I love going there and coming home with provisions. I always feel a little more celestial and law-of-consecration-like when I'm there.
Congrats on joining the cannery! What did you can? I helped there with peaches once. My job was to take the pits out and boy am I a pro now. It's all quite the process. I think they make other stuff there too. Thanks for serving!
We did dry pack, and I think we did everything that they have. they just had us fill orders, so it was a lot of different things.
Hey Heidi, I found your blog! I had a great time with you at the cannery, and it wasn't even scary or naziish. You're awesome!
Post a Comment