Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Day Camp

In November of last year I got a new calling in the Stake as a member of the Primary Board over Day Camp.  Our stake has created what we call Activity Days Day Camp.  It's 4 hours on a Saturday morning when all girls 8-11 come and get spiritually and physically fed and pampered.  I was so excited when I found out that I would be helping plan this day!  (I felt it was well deserved after 3 years in scouts).  From day one in my calling (Way back in November) we were planning and getting things rolling. 
I was shocked how quickly it came.  I was in charge of decorations and you would not believe how many hours and days I spent making things.  Our house looked like a day camp tornado leading up to it.  Jeramy was so done with day camp weeks before it got here! 
It was absolutely amazing to see the Lord's hand in all things we planned and did.  It was neat for me to see that the Lord even cared about my silly decorations.  Things fell into place.  I made exactly enough of things that I had wondered if I had enough of.  So cool.
We spent the entire day before it setting up.  (Huge thanks to Jeramy for taking the day off and keeping Lexi.  I don't know how I would have done it with her around!) 

Everything went so smoothly the day of.  300 girls and leaders.  I loved sitting up front looking out over the massive sea of blue t-shirts.  The girls all got a t-shirt, water bottle, bracelet, and they got to string their own jump rope. 
 We started with registration and breakfast in the gym.  Then we had a few speakers and a musical number.  President Gurney bore his testimony also.  We then broke out into workshops where the girls rotated to three classes where they were taught the importance of doing hard things and going the distance - not giving up.  We then met together again for a snack and a closing video of all the girls in the stake and a musical number.
So cool.
 The only hiccup in the whole day was that we had a "Guess how many candies are in the jar" jar.  And the prize was the jar.  We had a tie.  Problem solved - I ran to Wal-Mart and bought the exact same prize.  :) 
So grateful to be part of this amazing day!  The spirit was so strong and the girls were so excited to be there.  Loved it! 
I love the ladies I serve with as well.  After this crazy day (for ALL of us ladies) the President showed up at my house with dinner.  Wow!  How cool was that??
Looking forward to next year!  The wheels are already turning...

No comments: