Saturday, September 15, 2012

Bring on the rusty nails!

I have been to our family doctor twice in the past 3 years.  If you remember the last time I went, it was a pretty scary experience that you can read about here.  So, I've been avoiding that place like the plague. 
In August we had our yearly health assessment for Jeramy's work.  He's been working so dang hard to get his cholesterol down.  Last year it was high and so he had to meet with a health coach every month.  I passed everything last year, so I didn't have to meet with the health coach, and I rubbed it in every single month. 
Well, we went for our assessment and I was feeling pretty confident.  My baby weight was gone.  (First time ever I've lost it all), and I knew I would be fine with everything else. 
I was very surprised when I got my results and my triglycerides were 100 points higher than they were last year!  Needless to say, I didn't pass.  I was shocked, and Jeramy just laughed.  He's been eating oatmeal every morning for months and I hate oatmeal.  He said, "Don't you wish you'd been eating it with me now?"  (And I should add that my skinny husband passed everything with flying colors.  He's down about 25 pounds). 
His company gives you a month to "re-test" but you have to do it with your own doctor.  So I called and made an appointment to have my cholesterol checked again because there was no way it was as high as they said it was. 
Just my cholesterol checked. 
Nothing else.

Sigh. 
I had Lexi with me and after the doctor oohed and ahhed over her (and asked if she was my first - yeah, I don't go in very often) he said, "Well are you up to date on your tetanus? 
"YES!  I am!"  I shouted.  In your face, doctor guy.  No shot for me today. 
"Well, let's have a look.  Just as I thought.  When we gave you your tetanus shot 3 years ago it didn't have the pertussis vaccine in it.  And with that new baby at home, we really should get you that shot again."
Sigh.
"Fine."
As he left, I thought, maybe I should tell him I'm going rock climbing tonight and I can't have a dead arm.  But then I looked at my sweet baby and I knew it was best for her if I got it.  Besides, it was only fair, she got 3 shots on Tuesday. 
So I got a shot.
And a blood draw.
And oh yeah, my cholesterol is fine.  We've decided that she wrote 240 instead of 140 because it came in at 146 this time. 
And my arm hurts. 
And I think it's time for a new doctor. 

No comments: