The Stake Family 5K kind of snuck up on us this year! We didn't train at all like we did last year, but I really wanted to do it. I've been walking at least 2 miles a day with Lexi, so I knew I'd be all right. I knew Maddie would be fine because she's ran a few now. I knew that Lindsay would whine the whole way, and Macie would suffer through it, but do it. Knowing all this, I decided I still wanted to do it.
Friday night we started discussing our game plan. Macie made it very clear that she was not walking/running/scooting or participating in any way. When Macie says something like that, you take it seriously. So, I got on facebook and asked if I could borrow a double stroller. Thank you, random person I really don't know in the other ward for letting me borrow your stroller.
Lindsay said she was going to keep up with Maddie and Jeramy. I had my doubts, but let her try. The three of them set off. I started walking pushing a massive stroller with way more weight than I'm used to. About a tenth of a mile into it, there was a double-back and we ran into the other three. Maddie immediately said that she was not running. I was shocked. Jer and Lindsay took of and left us in the dust.
Maddie whined the whole way. Once I asked her to push. She acted like the world had ended. Something about her only weighing 50 pounds and that her 2 sisters together weigh more than her...what a baby. I tried to get her to run a few times (just so that we wouldn't come in last place). She was a poop about it. At about mile 2, I started to break down and asked Macie to walk for a bit. She got out, cried, hung on the stroller and I quickly realized it was was harder with her hanging on the stroller crying and I put her back in.
We did manage to out walk a pregnant lady pushing a double stroller, and a guy who showed up wearing jeans. Who does that? Oh yeah, a Dad who was running it with his 6 year old daughter, that's who. And I did cheat a little. I only went 2.72 miles. There was a cul-de-sac that I might have not ran down. As they were cheering me on as a RAN across the finish line and wrote down my time, I had to be honest.
Once I crossed the finish line, much to my surprise, Lindsay came running up and told me that she ran the entire race. Jeramy was pretty proud of her.
All day she would just randomly say, "I can't believe I ran my first 5K."
And for 2 days after, all we heard was how sore she was.
Lesson learned from this race...
I should never "assume" I know what my kids are going to do.
We all know what happens when we assume.
Saturday, September 15, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment