Monday, September 24, 2012

Lindsay's birthday

My sweet little Lindsay turned 7 this week!  7!  Time flies.  About 2 months before her birthday, she made her list.  And she also informed me she wanted a surprise party.  I told her that you can't ask for a surprise party, because then you know you're getting one. 
But, being the amazingly cool mom that I am, I pulled off a surprise party - the day before her birthday.  This was a "cousins" year, not a "friend" year for a party.  So, I called in the aunts and cousins that are close by.  I found a friend of Lindsay's to be our "decoy" and had her go play at her house while I frantically got her party ready and all of her guests hidden in the house. 
Lindsay was so surprised!  She kept saying, "Mom, I can't believe you threw me a surprise party!"  We ate sandwiches (her least favorite food - but hey, I threw her a party).  And opened presents, and then we cut into the cake...ahh pinterest, you made me proud today.  I had pinned a recipe on how to make a zebra cake.  Lindsay is a TINY bit obsessed with zebras.  Problem with the cake is that you don't know if it turned out until you cut into it.  I was pretty giddy when we cut it open and lo and behold...zebra stripes! 
I'm so grateful for those who took time out of their busy days to come celebrate with us, it meant so much to her. 

I have to admit, I kept forgetting it was her birthday on her birthday because I had "been there, done that" the day before.  I had promised her that I would go eat lunch with her at school.  Yes, I went and paid $2.75 for a slice of pizza and a cup of grapes.  (then I went to my moms and had lunch with her, but who's counting calories...oh wait, I am). 
When she got home we opened presents.  She got everything on her list except for a zebra bedspread.  Momma had to draw the line there.  She shares a room with Macie and Macie is so not loving all the zebra stuff already in there.  Not to mention that I love their matching bedding right now anyway. 
We then went to Texas Roadhouse where she got herself a 6 ounce steak.  Yuck.  She did say that my steaks are way better.  Go me.  When we got home, I had to leave for bunco.  There were tears involved in me leaving her on her birthday.  (Insert everything I did for her the past not one, but two days).  

Lindsay can always make me laugh.  She tends to think about herself to the point that you have to chuckle a bit.  She really is a sweetheart and says the kindest and most thoughtful prayers, but don't ask her to do anything for you - she'll politely pretend like she didn't hear you and run away. 
Lindsay wants to be a nurse.  A broken arm nurse.  Lindsay can't stand the sight of blood, boogers, vomit or even sweat.  We're kindly trying to persuade her into a different career choice.  She plays school in her room every day.  Every day.  You can hear her up there singing songs and teaching her "class" what she learned herself that day in school.  Pretty adorable.  (except for when you are trying to get her out of the house so that you can get her surprise party set up, and she doesn't want to leave because it's "school time.")  I'm pretty sure she'd make an amazing teacher!  (although, teachers have to deal with all of the above gross things, too). 
I love my Lindsay!


2 comments:

OUR Coop said...

love her cake!!! wow 7. we are old. colton turns 7 in Feb. Happy birthday lindsay

Janet said...

WOW her cake is adorable! I hope that she had a happy birthday!!