We've had quite the eventful few weeks with Lindsay.
This post should pick up where the last post left off, but I thought I should throw in there that on Friday we went and she got her kindergarten shots...4 of them. She was so brave! All she wanted as her reward was ice cream.
TODAY: We went to the allergist for our "ibuprofen challenge." We got there at 9. I was then told that she would need an IV in case she had a bad reaction so they'd be able to get her meds quickly. Had I known that, I would have made Jeramy come with me. Funny that they left that little detail out. I tried to be brave for her, but I was freaking out because I know how awful it is to get an IV. She did super! The nurse small talked with her about her best friend - Bonnie. Of course, they didn't get it on the first try...and I wanted to punch the nurse in the face for having to do it twice, but Lindsay was strong and brave. They set the IV, then put her arm in a splint and covered it up for her. After the nurses left the room, she said, "Mom, I feel really hot" and she was turning green. I thought for sure she was going down, and I wasn't in the best of shape either. How awesome would that be for both of us to be passed out in the room. We sat down and had a snack and we both pulled through like champs.
Having an IV in her right arm really put a damper on all the things I had brought for her to do, like color, play the DS, play my phone, play barbies, play fazoodles, eat snacks, etc. The first 3 hours she kept saying , "Mom, this is so much fun! I love having a cast!" We got to sit in the waiting room and she got to pick her movies for the day. A few hours into it, the nurse came out with this adorable teddy bear with a matching "cast" for Lindsay. That bear never left her side (and she's sleeping with it as I write).
We were "allowed" to go to the cafeteria for lunch - followed closely by the doctor AND the nurse. I snuck us out into the hallway by a window and we watched people and ate. I had to feed the poor kid her hot dog because she couldn't bend her arm. The apple was a lost cause. Ever try to feed someone an apple before? Not easy.
About hour 5, we both started getting really restless. I asked if we could go for a walk in the halls. We were granted permission to go for a 20 minute walk. It was sooo nice!
At hour 6, I had given up entertaining her and she was so done watching movies. We just kind of sat there in a daze.
Finally at hour 7 and a half, and no swelling at all, we were allowed to come home.
We have no answers. But, I'm pretty sure Lindsay knows her way around the hospital like a pro now. Can you say "Future candy striper?" And I really hope to never ever see the inside of "Exam room 1" ever again. Next time you are left waiting in an exam room for a while, think about our almost 8 hours in one and be grateful that your visit won't be that long...with a 5 year old...that can't use her right hand.
(A huge thanks to my parents for keeping Macie all day and teaching her "Jack and Jill" She said it all for me tonight and it was adorable!)
2 comments:
That teddy bear's cast is about the cutest thing I've ever seen!
With one of my babies, they tried five times to get the IV in. They couldn't get it to go so they put it in his head. Like, his HEAD.
Anyway I'm happy you survived and hopefully she just won't ever have that reaction again. I'm sure she'll remember that day for a looooong time!
Rats! Back to square one? That is so weird! That would totally stink to stay at the hospital that long! BORING! I hope you can figure it out... Done any crocheting lately? Not me!
Post a Comment