Friday, February 11, 2011

lean, mean crocheting machine

Is that not the most awkward word spelling in the world? It should be "crowshay". Every time I see it, I think crotch, like in pants. And I say it "crotch -it" in my head.



Any whoo...this past weekend when the in-laws were in town, my amazing mother in law attempted to teach me how to crochet. It's a good thing she's a patient woman, because well, I didn't get it. We worked on it for an hour or so, then the men-folk got restless for a game of spoons, so we had to put it away. After they left for the evening, I sat and practiced. I was supposed to be making a dish cloth. I ended up making this:


I originally told Jeramy that I had made a scarf, he was impressed - until I showed this to him. When I told Maddie it was a scarf, she tried to be nice about it, then she finally had to say, "mom, you'll have to wrap that around your neck like a million times."


So, what am I going to use it for? Shoelace, extra string, head band, wash cloth. All right, probably nothing. It was just a practice run. I'll be getting more training next time I'm up in Idaho.

Jeramy really wants me to make him this:





Might take me a while to get that good.

It would be totally worth learning if he'd actually wear it, though, don't you agree?

4 comments:

Adhis said...

After failing to learn at a Relief Society Super Saturday a few years ago, I have committed to never learn how to crotch it. So far, I'm excellent at it.

Kristen said...

THAT is awesome. The beard hat thing. I like your scarf too. It took us three weeks, but our Beehives learned to crochet. I just finished my hat. And it FITS. Well kind of, except I always look dorky in hats. It fits Nicole very nicely. =o) Our "teacher" was amazing and helped 8 of us individually all at the same time.

I believe that you were supposed to be single-crocheting inside each stitch of your first row - but instead you just kept stitching inside... nothing... and ended up with a chain instead of a bunch of rows. ???

Wouldn't you make fun of somebody if they spelled croch instead of crotch? You'll have to start calling Adhis "Boo-Chay." =o) She'd love that.

Jess and Jen said...

Heidi I am still laughing at croch-it! I thought that was really funny for some reason. I loved your scarf! Probably because mine looked the same! I tried to make a chain on the drive home and it made me car sick so I haven't had much of a desire. Maybe some day we can both crotch-it a hot pad together!

Adhis said...

Sheesh, Heidi! Tell your buddy to keep it family-friendly!