"Macie, what was that?"
"Nothing, Mom."
I figure she's not crying, so it must be all right.
I get out and I'm chatting on the phone sitting on my bed. Then I notice all of Macie's blankets (she sleeps with about 10 of them) are piled on my floor. Then I notice that a drawer is missing in my dresser. I try to make sense of this situation. I start to move the pile of blankets and find my drawer under the pile. Then it all makes sense.
For some reason she was opening my dresser drawer and it fell out, so she tried to hide it. She also had shoved her stuffed animals and dolls in the "void" of where the drawer should be so it would not look so empty.
I noticed her bedroom door was shut...and locked.
I fixed the drawer and asked her to come in my room. When she came in, she kept eyeing over the drawer, amazed that it was fixed. We had a nice little talk about telling the truth.
Last night after the girls had their baths, Macie wanted her hair braided. We were listening to the scriptures, so I humored her and gave her 3 crazy braids. 3 crazy braids with wet hair = really crazy hair in the morning. She said to me when she woke up, "Mom, I am impatient with these braids!" And asked to take them out. She refused to let me take a picture of her with crazy hair.
Gosh, I love her.
2 comments:
So funny! Good for you for taking the chance to teach her about honesty. I always over look those opportunities. I think I spent 15 min reading all your blogs I'm so behind! I blame it on Kameron.
Love Maddie's baptism picture announcement! Way cute. Kaden is very interested to see someone get baptized!
I can picture the whole thing happening - you're a good storyteller.
I hate it when they try to cover things like that - my kids do it too. I guess it's human nature. I'm surprised to realize as my kids are getting older that the thing I care most about in their development is that they feel like they can always be honest with me. That's what we really need when they become teenagers, right? When they have a challenge, I want them to come to me instead of hiding from me. It seems like a really hard balance to find. Most often it happens the way you described. But one experience at a time, I hope we can get there.
I'm sure YOU can, but can I? =o)
Post a Comment