Wednesday, June 16, 2010

I've created a monster!

Maddie loves school.

Maddie loves structure.

Maddie hates summer.

On the first day of summer she begged me to make her a chore chart.

I know I should be happy, but I don't like structure. I like getting out of bed when I want and not doing anything until I'm good and ready. Now the minutes she gets up, she wants to do the dishes, which means I have to help empty the dishwasher. Then she wants to pull weeds, which means I have to pull weeds. Do you get the picture? She's making me do chores.

She also wanted to do homework. Each night I am to put a worksheet in each folder. If I forget, I get the wrath of Maddie first thing in the morning. Not a pretty sight. Jeramy has even started to remind me just so that he doesn't have to experience it either. She also writes in her journal every night and asks me for writing prompts. I'll have to post some of her stories sometime.


And we now have chore jars

Each chore the girls do, they get a pom pom to put in. When their jar is full, they get to go on a date with their dad. I keep waiting for them to get tired of all this structure, but it seems they all like it. :(

7 comments:

Aubrey said...

The chore jar is a FANTASTIC idea!! How does it work with Lindsay? I really want to start with Hailey...

Soccer Mom said...

WOW! That is amazing! My girls want chore charts just so they can get them done quicker and play the rest of the day! They are pretty content to sleep until Noon if I would let them!!!!!

Jennica said...

I am really liking this quality in her...I could learn a thing or two from her love of all things structured. =) And I am loving your creative takes on mothering her through the summer! You go girl!!!!

Russ Steele said...

I couldn't help but notice that the dishes in the sink looked like they had been there a week. Maybe Maddie really wanted a bowl for here "Bran Flakes"

Heidi said...

My dear brother...that is ONE DAY of dishes. We do them every morning. :)

Kristen said...

Ah, parenting.

I believe that kids are born ready to work and they have amazing potential. They have a natural desire for structure, unless we snuff it out.

You have a wonderful little girl there. I'm sure she's exhausting for you. But what a treasure. Think of all the battles you WON'T have to have. My mom is STILL wondering how to teach two of her daughters (30+) to care.

Maddie is more like me and Jonathan is more like you. But we are in our families for a reason. Yay for lifelong learning!

Jen said...

What is with kids these days? I avoided chores like the plague when I was that age. I guess I still do.