Monday, May 3, 2010

Going dutch

Most of you know that I grew up camping a lot. The dutch oven was always a part of those trips...until my Dad got his new fancy shmancy trailer with a microwave and stuff.

2 Christmases ago my in-laws gave us a dutch oven and I was excited to try it out.
2 years later it still sat in our garage with the Christmas bow on the box.
This week I vowed to use it, so I did.

It was pretty windy, so I did it in the garage - with the garage door half way open. I was surprised that no one came over concerned about the smoke billowing from the garage. Jeramy had to stay late at church, so we got a late start. I started my coals at 6:30, started cooking at 7. At 8 - when it should have been done - it wasn't. So I had to heat more coals which took another 20 minutes, then we cooked it for another 20 minutes.
The girls were super excited that they got to stay up late waiting for it to get done. (Gotta love the non-matching pj's that they picked out)

At 9, it was finally done! And it turned out great- if I do say so myself! I can't wait to try something else this week.
I told Maddie that I might try to make dinner one night in it, she said, "Mom, you'll have to start it like at lunchtime so it will be done."
So true.


5 comments:

Stephanie said...

Question is... What did you make?

Forsyth Family Fun said...

MMMMM Wondering the same thing.

Janet said...

Wow! You are such a fun mom.

Heidi said...

I made the Chocolate Lover's Delight http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipe-choclovers.htm

Kristen said...

I wish I could say that I didn't notice the pajamas and that I didn't burst out laughing.

But since you mentioned it, it makes it okay. Nicole loves to get creative with her jammies too. The boys, on the other hand, will go naked if they are missing a matching piece.