Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Better eat your wheaties...

It's no secret that I'm a picky eater. I know it's where my kids get it from.
I despise wheat tortillas
I shiver at the thought of eating brown rice
I HATE wheat noodles.

BUT, I do eat wheat bread. (and occasionally sneak in a loaf of white bread for me to quietly devour on my own).
And I will bake with wheat flour. I have gradually went from doing just 1/4 of the recipe wheat to doing it all wheat and no one has noticed. (gotta use that food storage)
Yeah me.

Last week I ran out of ground up wheat, (and grinding it by hand is fun for about, oh, 1/4 a cup)so I had to use - gasp - white flour in my muffins. When I pulled them out of the oven and they were fluffy, I think I actually gasped - wondering what I had done wrong. They weren't little sunken muffins. Then I tried one...oh man, it was GOOD. Jer tried one and said, "These are good, what's different?" So I had to tell him my secret. We both oohhed and ahhed about my muffins. So I made cookies. Wow. Oh wow. I love white flour.

Tomorrow I am going to my mom's to get the wheat grinder. :(
I will miss you white flour.

A wise uncle of mine once said, "the whiter the bread, the faster you're dead" Is that sad that it kept going through my head as I enjoyed my white flour?

4 comments:

Sheree said...

Yes, white flour muffins are so light and airy. And those yummy white tortillas from Cafe Rio are so good. There are certain things that whole wheat just can't even compete in.

But to me, brown rice and whole wheat blender pancakes are much tastier than the white versions. And I get the Ezekial Tortillas and heat them on the stove. They are heavier and chewier, but good imo.

Adhis said...

Brown rice and wheat anything takes getting used to through regularly consumption. Also, it helps what else you accompany them with. Some spices and flavors go really well with the brown foods, while others just make them taste... heavy and brown.

Ooh! Idea! Check out this chick's blog. She has tested some wheat and food storage recipes that taste good.
http://myfoodstoragedeals.blogspot.com/

Kristen said...

I have a little secret too. Add a little gluten flour anytime you use wheat flour and it fluffs it up. It doesn't take much and makes a BIG difference. I use 1/2 cup for 6 loaves of bread.

You can find tiny bags at any grocery store (Red Mill brand). Or cheaper in bulk bins at stores that have those to scoop your own and weigh.

Gluten is a part of the wheat kernal - it's not some weird chemical. Gluten flour makes it fluffy! I would marry it if I could.

Tarina said...

That's too funny. I don't mind all the wheat stuff but don't often use it to make cookies or muffins. I guess were just opposite of each other. My husband the other day refused to make a sandwich because all we had was white bread. It seriously made me laugh.