Saturday, January 16, 2010

Before Jeramy and I were dating, I was hanging out with all the guys at his apartment. Jeramy's mom came over to get him. He said, "You didn't bring Rosie, did you?" She smiled and laughed and said, "Yeah." Jeramy rolled his eyes and said, "Mom!!!" And I thought to myself, "What a jerk. That's probably his grandma or someone and he's mad that his mom brought her."

A few months later, I learned that Rosie was not his grandma. It was their new puppy. I did not grow up around dogs, so going to Malad and being around a rowdy puppy was new to me, and I'll admit - I was nervous about the dog. (don't even get me started about their baby calf...I still have nightmares about being chased by it).

Soon Rosie became a mom. Jeramy's mom sold all the puppies, then (correct me if I'm wrong Mary) her heart softened and she went and bought back the runt of the litter.

And so began the years of 2 dogs at the Wakley home. The puppy (On the right) was originally called Jewel, then Daisy, then many more names. Nothing "fit" her. She remained Puppy.
Rosie and Puppy did NOT like Maddie when she was born. They were not used to someone small chasing them around, and they both would hide out when she came around.

As the years have passed, I've gotten used to the dogs - and I even look forward to one of them jumping up on the couch and cuddling up next to me. The dogs have definitely gotten used to having oodles of kids around. Over Christmas break, I watched as Kaden shot his nerf gun - point blank- at Rosie's behind. She didn't even budge. She just turned her head to see what was going on, then went back to sleep.

My kids (except for Lindsay who is terrified of dogs) love playing with them. Feeding them, chasing them, talking to them and petting them.

We got the sad news last week that Rosie died. I've never been attached to a pet before, so this was all new to me. The girls were pretty bummed, but they reassured me that "all dogs go to heaven" and they are dealing with it fine.

We will miss you, Rosie!

6 comments:

Adhis said...

Oh, so sad!
She's probably hopping on someone else's lap right now, loving NOT getting shot in the butt with Nerf darts.

Kristen said...

Hold on. Did you say "Before Jeramy and I were dating"? Weren't you dating like the day you met?

My mom has a shitzu. Georgie just had his 5th birthday and she figured he's 40 or something in dog years. I don't like dogs at ALL but I hope he sticks around for a long time.

Bye Rosie, thanks for being nice to babies!

Heidi said...

kristen, you forget that i dated his roommate first, so i knew him for a few months before we dated

Jess and Jen said...

My kids were way bummed about Rosie! They really bonded with the dogs while we went to Chicago. That's interesting that we were talking about how old she was at Christmas!

Kristen said...

Oh, right. So you were dating the roomate when this took place. =o)

Katy said...

Rest in peace, Rosie.