I like to think of myself as a smart person. I did, in fact attend the Midvale school for the gifted. There really is such a thing. But now I'm wondering if it was a "special school" and my parents just told me it was for the smart kids. Here is why I am questioning myself:
Last week my niece was telling us about her test at school. She had to memorize all the state capitols. I thought, "No problem." So I got us each a sheet of paper and gave us 10 minutes to write down all the states AND capitols. I knew I was going to smoke her. I start writing. I stop. I'm stumped. I count my list. 31. That's right, folks. 31 states, and only about 15 capitols. Needless to say, she won. I began to question my intelligence.
Yesterday at Target I saw a dry erase board with the states and capitols on one side, and just the map on the other. I bought it. Surely I would do better with a map. I got 37 states right. Sorry to those I know from Arkansas and the east coast. Your state is apparently not important enough for me to know. I decided I'd better work on my STATES before I move on to learning their capitols.
Last night as I was pondering my recent discovery of stupidity, I remembered something from high school. Close your eyes (well, don't close them because then you won't be able to read). Picture cute little shy Heidi sitting in AP History. Picture the teacher passing back our results on a geography test. She says, "Wow, Ben - you can travel around the world and not get lost." "Nick, you should stay in the United States and you'll be fine." "Well, Heidi. You probably should never leave your driveway." I kid you not. I now blame my lack of knowledge on the AP History teacher (who shall remain nameless because I'm still terrified of the lady).
So, the map of the United States is on my fridge and there it will remain until I know where all the states are and what their capitols are. Oh yeah, my niece also tells me that there is a SONG to memorize the states. I never learned no stupid song. :( I was ripped off.
*I also can't do long division, so don't even ask.
7 comments:
I always knew that my kids would be smarter than me someday, I just didn't realize it was going to be in 3rd grade.
Zac brought home some interesting spelling lists, ones that I had to look up in the dictionary to find out what they meant.
Isn't it great to get "old" and realize your priceless education has failed you yet again....
So, you made me curious, since we were educated at the same scool for the gifted. I can do the states, but not the capitols. I think the difference is that I just took regular history... Not AP. Which may also be why I think your AP history teacher is not scary at all. She was never my teacher, just my Peer Leadership Advisor.
I remember memorizing the states and capitals and I was the only one in my class that got 100%. If I could only remember them now, that would be something to be proud of! I'm sure you would totally kick my butt remembering them! (I am older than you though, so highschool was longer ago for me) ;)
I know Utah's. Hooray for me!!
Your blog always cracks me up, you are so funny :)
So, maybe I've been silently stalking you for months. I keep meaning to leave comments, then I never do.
If you want to memorize the states and capitols, then by all means do it. But I can tell you that intelligence and book knowledge are often times two different critters.
So, if you toss the states/capitols ideas out the window, just tell yourself you you are intelligent instead of "merely" book smart. :)
Really, I can still list - in alphabetical order - the 44counties of Idaho. I bet Jeramy can too. Idaho nerds.
I admire your relearning. Never back down!
A joke I heard: "When I hear you say that you are street smart but not book smart, what I hear is that you're not real smart, just imaginary smart.
=o) Sorry Adhis.
Post a Comment