Friday, September 19, 2014

Piano Time

When Jeramy and I were first married, I taught a couple of my niece's piano. 
 It didn't last long. 
When Maddie started school, I tried to teach her. 
That didn't go well at all.  (She goes to a neighbor now).
Last fall I put in our neighborhood Facebook group that I wanted to start teaching piano. 
 Didn't have any takers. 
 At the start of summer my niece Rachel asked me to start teaching her piano. 
 We had one lesson and then she moved out of the house with a piano she was staying at.

But I have still wanted to teach!  I know I am a natural teacher and have wanted teach something and piano is something I can do at home, which is important to me right now.  It's not even about the money, it's about being able to teach someone something new and watching that light go on when they get it.
A few weeks ago while I was at work, I had a powerful conversation with someone there who convinced me that I needed to just try teaching piano again.  It was so crazy knowing I was supposed to be at work that night so that I could talk to this amazing person who I had never met before.    (And I should also add that it was also the night that I told my boss I would no longer be able to work in the office at night).  
I pondered on our conversation for a few weeks, then sweet Rylan - who is seriously the son I will never have - was over at my house.  He kept sitting at the piano and I finally asked if he was taking lessons.  He said, "No.  But I'm going to."  I asked who was going to teach him and he said he didn't know yet.  I reached out to his mom and offered my services on a very trial basis, and she agreed.  
I decided it might just be the motivation Macie has been lacking knowing that Rylan is learning the same things as her.  I gave her a lesson as well and it went great!
And another little tender mercy - the night before Rylan's lesson, I was able to talk to that special person who had given me the courage I needed to try again with lessons.  I think they needed to hear that they made a difference in my life and it was so nice to be able to tell them that!

Day of lesson, I was nervous, but excited.  After lesson, I couldn't stop smiling.  
I love to teach!
Here's hoping it keeps going well!

1 comment:

OUR Coop said...

I really wished I lived by you. I have two that want to learn😞
So happy for you